Sunday, January 17, 2010

Disjointed thoughts about this weekend's new movies

The Book of Eli

*Wait a minute, the Hughes Brothers did this? The Hughes Brothers are back? That's good news. The movie looks kind of generic, but discovering this makes me reconsider it.

*Denzel Washington (55) is a good 4-5 years older than I thought he was. Not that it really matters, but I lost face in a little debate over it over the holidays. Ah, well. Hey, he can still bring it, right?

*There are more post-apocalyptic movies nowadays than good old-fashioned apocalyptic movies. Not to mention "good" movies.

The Lovely Bones

*I hear that this is quite different than the book, but it's not like Peter Jackson isn't familiar with people bitching about his adaptations.

*Can I get a cheap shot at the LOTR trilogy in here? Sure, I can, it's my blog. I enjoyed the spectacle of the first movie but became increasingly irritated/bored by the films as the series progressed. I'm not a fan of Jackson's "King Kong," either. So that name isn't getting me to the theaters.

*Nothing against the guy, but somehow I have no problem picturing Stanley Tucci as a child murderer.

The Spy Next Door

*Sure, this looks lame, but if it makes a lot of dough, I say we look other way. Jackie Chan deserves an easy paycheck or 3 at this point in his career.

*Better something under the radar like this than another "Shanghai Knights" or "Rush Hour" sequel, right?

No comments: