Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Two new DVD releases: What the deal is?

Infinity Entertainment Group releases two new DVD collections today, and I don't know a whole lot about them, though I'd like to know more. Oh, I've seen the press releases--many sites ran those--and I can see the meager info on the company's official site.

Mickey Rooney: The Long and Short of It is a "Six-disc collector's set (approx. 24 hours) includes 14 classic films, television and movie trailers charting his career from 1934."

What films? The press release mentioned some of his old (no pun intended) shorts. Are the movies the usual suspects like "Quicksand" (which is really good but widely available)? What about the TV--is there anything besides "Hey, Mulligan?"

And while I'm asking questions, why in the name of Konstantin Beta (inventor of the Beta format--I know because I read it on Rickipedia) do I have to root around for this basic product information? It kills me how we can be this many years into DVD and still find it difficult to obtain essential data about a given release--you know, information like what's actually on the thing.

There's another release that interests me: The Abbott and Costello Show: The Complete Collection. Now, here, at least, the Infinity web site is more forthcoming, and we learn that in addition to some radio shows and some public domain movies, we get 14 episodes of the Colgate Comedy Hour (this is NOT to be confused with the A&C sitcom, which is apparently getting a full series re-release in March--but good luck finding quality info about THAT one).

Still, what radio shows are included? That might mean something to someone, you know, and it wouldn't be hard to just tell everybody. As for the video and audio quality, well, of course, no self-respecting independent DVD company is going to give us any intelligence about that, unless the boilerplate "digitally remastered"still registers for you.

I might like to get either or both of these releases, but without more information, I don't want to order them. So I have to wait for someone else to buy these and write about them online. By that time, I may well have spent my moolah elsewhere. This seems like an inefficient way to sell anything, and it's one of the reasons the DVD hobby can be so frustrating.

No comments: