Monday, January 11, 2010

A problem with those MOD DVDs

I often joke about how I'm a cheapskate and sometimes choose renting over buying when it comes to watching some of those classic movie DVDs, but if we stop and ponder it, isn't renting still a legitimate proposition? It should be.

That's the big problem I have with the Warner Archives, the Universal/TCM manufactured-on-demand discs, the MGM/Amazon program, and any similar effort. Since they aren't available in normal retail distribution channels, they are more expensive. The higher price makes renting an even more attractive proposition, but you won't find these discs at Blockbuster, Redbox, or even at my beloved Netflix.

I do know that ClassicFlix offers the Archive discs (and is aggressively touting that fact, as well it should), but this is a California-based outfit with less distribution centers, a longer turnaround, and a little less overall value. OK, so I really am a cheapskate. My point stands, though. It's possible, maybe even likely, that more of these MOD programs will appear and not even places like ClassicFlix will offer rentals.

Here's another point, too: What if you want a rare movie on DVD as a gift? Some of the Warner Archives discs might make fine presents, but you can't exactly tell your parents to run to Target and pick 'em up. No, it's like, "Uh, I really want this movie, and all you have to do is go to this website, set up a new account with them, and have it shipped to my house. Oh, and by the way, the website sucks, and it'll probably give you a headache or 3 trying to complete this transaction. So that's what I want! Good luck!"

So those are my beefs with this growing DVD trend. Not only are the discs a little high for me, it's harder to get them for free. Am I asking too much?

No comments: