Sunday, July 11, 2010

First Impulse: Emmy nominations

I can't get too worked up about the Emmys, both because I question the credibility of the awards process and because I seldom watch many of the current Emmy faves, so take my comments with a grain of whatever additive you prefer:

*There are some new nominees this year, sure, but overall it still feels like the same crop gets picked year in and year out. Sometimes I'm OK with that, but this year I'm really detached from many of the major choices. "30 Rock," "Monk," and some other shows mean nothing to me. And how does Julia Louis-Dreyfus get nominated every year while her show gets canned every other year?

*This "Glee" nonsense is way out of control. I mean, I said 3 months ago the "Glee" hype was out of control, and now the Emmy Academy (or whoever gives these things out) has given rags like "Entertainment Weekly" an excuse to fawn over this show when it's not even on the air.

*Amusing headlines the morning of the noms proclaimed: "Charlie Sheen Snubbed." OK, if we're talking awards for acting, can any exclusion of Charlie Sheen ever be a SNUB? His best work was in film, and, yes, I'm talking about the old ads he and Jon Cryer did for National Amusement Cinemas reminding us to pick up our trash as we left theaters. "That's a prop, Jake," delivered as he pointed out to the Half Man kid that the hot dog was a fake--ah, that line got me every time.

*Here's who I think should win:
Best Comedy: Modern Family (but I wish "Community" were nominated)
Best Drama: Breaking Bad
Best Actor, Drama: Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad"
Best Actress, Drama: Connie Britton, "Friday Night Lights" (I haven't seen this season, but I can't imagine anyone else in this category topping her)
Best Actor, Comedy: Larry David, "Curb"
Best Actress, Comedy: No opinion.
Outstanding Reality/Competition Program: I want to say "anything but Amazing Race" until I actually look at the nominees and realize I dislike every other program in the category.
Outstanding Variety, Music, or Comedy Series: "The Daily Show" ("Saturday Night Live" is the ultimate "legacy nomination")

No comments: