Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"My First Superman Book" raises some questions

I didn't want to have to write this post. I grew up loving Superman in comics, cartoons, and movies, and so when my toddler got "My First Superman" as a gift, I hoped it would set him on a path to enjoying the character--maybe not Nic Cage "naming your child Kal-El" fandom, but something like at least wanting to see a Superman comic every now and then.

It's a sturdy, attractive board book, with each page offering a pull tab a child can yank to reveal a surprise, or some other  tangible feature. For example, you can "CHECK OUT HIS SILKY, RED CAPE" by running your fingers over it. The same goes for the "SPARKLY ICE" at the Fortress of Solitude and Krypto's "fur."

One cool spread shows Clark Kent rushing into a phone booth (And I love, love, LOVE that even today it's still a phone booth) as the text explains how he transforms when people are trouble. Pull a tab on the side, and, voila, Supes flies out the other side of the booth!

Yes, it's a good enough book, but one part disturbs me. "Superman has X-Ray vision," we read, and the Man of Steel himself thinks, "WHAT'S GOING ON BEHIND THAT WALL?"

I'm pretty excited to see what is behind the brick wall he was gazing at. A fire? A bank robber?? Lex Luthor???

I pull the tab to show my son (OK, I was really more interested) what Superman sees with his special power, and...hey, it's Lois Lane! It's not even Lois Lane in trouble. It's Lois Lane sitting at her desk, chin in her hand, sly smile on her face.

Superman uses his X-ray vision to spy on Lois Lane?

I think the only "saving" she needs is from hunger, as she might well be contemplating whether to get a sandwich or the soup/salad combo from the Daily Planet cafeteria (If we still have phone booths for Clark Kent to change in, the Planet can still be viable enough to have its own in-house cafeteria).

Superman uses his X-ray vision to spy on Lois Lane?

We all suspected it, maybe on some level envied him for it, but we don't need to see it in a kids' book. I mean, come on, Superman, we're trying to set an example here! I don't want my boy thinking it's OK to peep on attractive women...not until he's a teenager, anyway.

Shaken, I close the book to catch my breath, and then I notice the book's subtitle: "TOUCH AND FEEL!" Indeed. Indeed.

No comments: