Saturday, August 24, 2013

This Week (Well, almost last week by now) in DVD and Instant Watching

It's "CBS dumps a bunch of TV series releases out this week and reminds you the fall season is coming" week! Sorry this is up a little late, but sometimes my day job interferes with my blogging life. It's not easy being a jet-setting millionaire playboy, but it's a living.

Epic: Whoever says movie critics are irrelevant these days is way off. I pay close attention to anyone who reviews a new cartoon movie because whatever I put on for my kids, no matter how good or bad it is, is probably gonna be on dozens of times more.

Killing Season: John Travolta is a former Serbian military man who seeks revenge on Robert De Niro's American veteran, and they square off one on one in the mountains. 15 years ago, I would have thought, "I gotta see that; it sounds really cool." Today, I think, "I gotta see that; it sounds hilarious."

Scary Movie 5: What was once a decent parody concept has devolved into an excuse to round up celebrities with sordid pasts. This installment alone has Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen, Katt Williams, Heather Locklear, Kate Walsh...What, you never heard of Kate Walsh's South American gun running exploits?

Boardwalk Empire Season 3: Uh, this isn't a CBS show and doesn't fit the theme I declared in effect for this week, so I'm ignoring it.

Parenthood Season 4: Same here.

NCIS Season 10: Or as I call it, 'WTF," as in, why is this show so popular?

NCIS: LA Season 4: Or as I call it--Aw, crap, why did both of these have to come out in the same week?

The Good Wife Season 4: Another season 4? Meet 2009, the biggest year in network television history. Incidentally, I keep expecting The Good Wife to be booked like pro wrestling, with Julianna Marguiles snapping, bashing someone with a steel chair, and becoming the Bad Wife. I probably said that when season 3 came out. If so, hey, at least I'm consistent.

Mike and Molly Season 3: I always read snide comments about how people ignore this show because it's just a bunch of fat jokes. Well, there is a long and rich history of fat jokes and sitcoms, so I don't get that. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons to ignore this show.

Revenge Season 2: I think Travolta as a Serb pursuing Bobby De Niro in the boonies is all the revenge I need this week, thank you.

And in Instant Watching...

A Haunted House: If the "Scary Movie" franchise just isn't enough for you...

MST3K (multiple titles): The good news is, "Mystery Science Theater 3000" is back after a Netflix hiatus. The bad news is, they're the same episodes that were on before. Bummer. I miss the days when you could count on the movies showing up several months after the Shout DVD set release.

No comments: