Monday, June 4, 2018

'Mooners Monday: The Safety Award

I have to admit, though I love all Classic 39 episodes of The Honeymooners, there are some I love more than others. I didn't have strong anticipation for The Safety Award, which premiered May 19, 1956, when I rewatched it for 'Mooners Monday. It revolves around not one, not two, but 3 big coincidences (OK, two, maybe, but one is a whopper), and I didn't remember it being as funny as it was.




Yet as soon as I started the episode--and this has happened before--I realized, hey, this one has as many solid laughs as just about any other. The story isn't my favorite, but I find myself yukking it up throughout the show. It's a regular riot, in other words.

This week I want to salute one of the lesser-known peformers of the series, the man who plays the City Hall functionary who has arranged the ceremony in which Ralph Kramden will get an award for his impeccable safe driving record with the Gotham Bus Company. Les Damon (center, below) does a remarkable job and steals the entire episode, no mean feat in a story with prominent role for Gleason stalwarts Frank Marth and George Petrie.



Damon projects the solid competence of a man who knows how to get things done and how to keep things moving.  He's cordial but professional, efficient but not overeager. Right away he's credible and bringing high energy to the scene.





And then after a few minor exchanges, he lays everything out for Ralph and surprises the audience with a little bit of business. "Oh, by the way," he adds before going to fetch the judge who is going to present the honor...

"After you get your award, I'll take you upstairs and let you meet the mayor."





He says this with a perfect, "I know you're gonna love THIS tone," and also gives a little theatrical flourish and look as he runs off.  I think this may well be THE single best non-main-cast line reading in the history of the series.



Marth's reporter goes, "Ah ha ha!" And everyone else oohs and ahhs. I love that everyone treats this as such a big deal, but I really love how Damon sells this line. His character is proud of the access he is going to give this civilian and doesn't see a need to hide it.




The guy is perfect. Later, he introduces the judge who gives Ralph the award, and the listens as the man explains the encounter he and Ralph had on the way to City Hall.




He's clearly listening and reacting the whole time. Damon is in several other episodes--he gives a great take after learning he's eating dog food in A Dog's Life--but this has to be his finest moment.

No comments: