Saturday, June 2, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #113

This is a big, big week for streaming. You combine a holiday with the first of the month, and you get time to watch stuff plus new stuff being added. Let's get to it.

1) Netflix: I suppose it would be petty of me to complain that the monthly catalog drop was lame. So I won't. Instead I'll focus on the excellence of The Toys That Made Us, the fact that my kids are still hooked on The Who Was? Show (and have already asked me several times if there is going to be a season two), and series returns like Kimmy Schmidt.

All this plus Coco, a new episode of David Letterman's show featuring Howard Stern, Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story, and The Flash season 4 slides over to Netflix so I can catch up without commercial interruption. It's amazing that Arrested Development's return is almost--almost, I say, and I realize there are other factors involved--an afterthought. Plus the addition of Joseph Campbell: The Power of Myth is a real surprise.

2) HBO: This is probably the last month I will have HBO for a while, so I am going to watch the [This post is rated PG for mild profanity and adult themes] out of it. The new Blade Runner movie premieres this weekend, but for me it's all about the latest season of Curb Your Enthusiasm  (exceeded my expectations) and trying to catch up on Silicon Valley (becoming one of my favorite shows).

3) Hulu: There was a big shakeup in the upper management levels at Hulu the other day, and I don't know what it means. I hope it has something to do with the inability to develop a hit other than Handmaid's Tale and not a desire to cut back on library acquisitions. Dare I ask if one if these new bigwigs will decide it's finally time to add the rest of St. Elsewhere?

Acclaimed 2017 film I, Tonya tops the list of new adds. Now that summer's here, it's time to add some more classics, Hulu.

4) WWE: I was among those disappointed to learn that the weekly status of Hidden Gems meant maybe one new video a week, not a whole batch, but it's a nice commitment the Network is making to consistent use of its archives. I am having a blast watching old NWA on here.

5) Prime Video: How can I not rank Prime Video in a week in which my podcast talks about The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast, maybe the single most underrated and underpublicized gem on the service? And if you're not into Foster Brooks' drunk act, well, Lady Bird and The Disaster Artist and Wonder Wheel (My word, is this #MeToo  week for the big streamers) premiere.

Plus Babylon 5 surely excites a lot of people. Me, I think it's cool that The Waltons is here in full. Keep these Warner Brothers shows coming, Amazon (and if you'd like some suggestions, click here).

6) MLB TV: Holidays like Memorial Day just make me think of baseball. And how 'bout them Buccos? Jameson Taillon looked good last night.

7) YouTube: I was recommended a video called something like 'Worst Effort Plays: A Compilation," and you know what, YT? I liked it! Good call suggesting I watch a highlight reel of pro athletes not hustling. Credit to the Highlight Heaven channel.

I recommend our Battle of the Network Shows playlist for the Celebrity Roast for a broad view of cheesy and awesome 1970s celebrity culture.

8) Shout! Factory TV: Not a lot new going on here for June, which is a disappointment, but if you are into Black Music Month, check out Soul! for performances by tons of stars of the late 60s/early 70s. And then check out Starcade for performances by kids playing arcade games for prizes...like more arcade games!

9) NBC: Did you know that Punky Brewster had an episode with Henry addicted to pills? I didn't, but I intend to check it out this week.

10) Dailymotion: Because a friend and I talked about the old Tony Randall NBC sitcom Love, Sidney, and lo and behold, someone actually posted 3 episodes here.

1 comment:

Harl3y Quinn said...

Thanks for sharing thiis