Sunday, June 24, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #116

 
1) PIX11: I have sort of a compact with WPIX. If the beloved New York television broadcaster I enjoyed so much as a youth puts something cool on its PIX11 Roku channel, I'm-a gonna rank it. The upload of a recent 70th anniversary special is enough to deserve a high spot--so much fun, so many memories, I only wish it were longer--but there's also a handful of original Magic Garden episodes to stream. Those who know will know how cool that is. 11 is a clear 1 this week!
 
 

2) Hulu: I don't know how all the recent upheaval will affect us--new execs, new ownership structure--but let's hope it continues to be aggressive about programming even though it is losing 400 million bucks a month or whatever. This week, Hulu adds a bunch of shows from Viacom networks, including Daria.

 
 
 
Hey, should I start watching Rick and Morty (new season now available on Hulu) even though I have a hundred other shows I want to start watching?

3) Netflix: Is the drop of season 2 of Luke Cage enough to redeem Netflix from its Streisand debacle last week?
 
No, of course not. However, my kids got a lot of entertainment out of it. So help me, I am starting to kind of enjoy Mr. Young (look it up and realize why I am embarrassed to admit that).

4) YouTube: I am considering starting a movement to declare certain YouTube channels national landmarks that receive federal protection from copyright claims.

5) Highspots: This pro-wrestling-on-demand streamer did a class thing. On the anniversary of Bruiser Brody's death, it made its original documentary on the life and times of the renegade star available for free.

6) HBO: Friends, I am about to conclude my stint with HBO, but I will return to it at some point.  I have been very happy with the service, but then again, it's much easier to be pleased with something that's 5 bucks per (DirectTV Now) as opposed to 15 bucks per (everywhere else). Expect this one to be much higher next week as I race to get some more movies in before I say bye-bye.

7) WWE: In addition to continuing its welcome drop of Mid-Atlantic wrestling from the 1980s, the folks running the Network put together a collection honoring the deceased Vader with impressive speed.
 
Yes, I have two pro wrestling networks in the list this week. If you want to make something of it, just know that I have mastered several different suplexes and the Daddylock.

8) Prime Video: A quiet week for Prime (Suits season 7 is one of the headliners), but I like the ongoing influx of movies from Shout!, including this must-see with Leo Nimoy:
 
 

9) Filmstruck: It slipped out of the rankings for a few weeks, partly because I don't have it right now, but it gave us a solid week of adds including collections devoted to Natalie Wood and to Miss Marple. I tell you, the pre-TCM version of Filmstruck never would have offered a Miss Marple collection.

10) MLB TV: I had an evening to myself and wasted much of it seeing a horribly played baseball game that went into extra innings and ended with the Pirates losing to the Diamondbacks. I don't blame MLB TV, though. I blame the New York Yankees because...do I need a reason?

No comments: