Tuesday, June 17, 2008

On the Radio: What is Life

The True Oldies radio channel impressed me the other day, or the disc jockey on duty did, or however you want to look at it. It started with a heinous flub but ended up inspiring a lot of goodwill in this listener.

George Harrison's "What Is Life" from his classic "All Things Must Pass" album started playing, and the awesome funky guitar filled my car. Life was good, that's what it was.

Then, as Harrison's vocal began, a station ID started playing concurrently, totally killing my buzz and wrecking the song. The brilliance of that cool opening was wasted because of this screw-up.

Fortunately, someone caught the error, and here's what impressed me. In most of these cases, someone just flicks the appropriate switch, the superfluous promo stops, and the song goes on. Not this time. Whoever took control here stopped the ID and then started the whole song over from the beginning.

That great opening once again filled my car, and this time, the vocals came in unimpeded. I enjoyed the song in all its glory. Life was good again.

Whoever had the good sense to just start the song over, I thank you. You done good--even if it was you who botched it in the first place.

No comments: