Thursday, June 5, 2008

This Week in DVD

Mannix Season One: This is a real treat. The Mike Connors detective show itself hasn't been widely seen since the early days of TV Land, but the first season, from what I've read, has rarely been syndicated anywhere, and it offers a different slant than what followed. Paramount gives it to the fans with the whole season in one set and even--gasp--some extras. My most memorable "Mannix" moment thus far is when my uncle proudly showed off his new ringtone--the show's theme song--a few Christmases ago, but I'm looking forward to checking this out.

Get Smart: The Complete Series: What? The classic Don Adams spy comedy, a Time-Life exclusive for several years now, is finally available from retail outlets everywhere? Nope, sorry, this is the remake. From the nineties. Starring Andy Dick. Where are those Mannix DVDs?

Dirty Harry Collector's Set: I think the only one I need to own is the original, thank you, and I probably won't be upgrading. But it's cool that WB is putting some effort into the set...and making fans buy the movies all over again.

Semi-Pro: Will Farrell does it again. And judging from the trailers, I mean that literally, as he seems to be making the same not-that-great movie each time out now.

Flawless: CAINE. MOORE. Need we say anything else?

Rescue Me Season 4: I think I'm gonna let this set stay on the store shelves and instead focus on hoping season 5 puts the show back in top form.

The Onion Movie: Wha? "The Onion" made a movie? Apparently, they did. I had no idea. I still have no idea whether or not their brand of humor can make the transition from print.

Stump the Band: Here's another movie about which I haven't a clue. But I do know it stars Danny Cooksey, AKA Sam from "Diff'rent Strokes." Score!

Slew of Paramount catalog titles: In an arrangement that looks like a good deal for fans of lesser-known catalog movies, Paramount is licensing many of its titles to a company called Legend. Several are out this week, including Tony Curtis as "Houdini," the controversial "Mandingo" and the Henry Winkler wrestling movie "The One and Only." I applaud anything that gets more movies out there for those that are interested. Paramount isn't doing much else with its film library, so this is a great thing.

1 comment:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Just received my Mannix: Season One DVD in the mail today and am looking forward to opening it to get a glance at its contents when I get the time.

I've also ordered some of those Paramount/Legend Films titles (if you get 'em at Deep Discount, they're a heck of a lot cheaper): Serial (1980), Daniel (1983) and the Martin & Lewis romp Money from Home (1953).