Sunday, June 15, 2008

This Week in DVD

The Fugitive Season 2 Vol. 1 and The Odd Couple Season 4: Sigh. I wrote about these releases the other day. What's really sad is that after the first season of Fuge, I think we all thought that, minor alterations notwithstanding, this was one classic that was on the "safe" list, a series that could be pre-ordered, not one for which you had to wait and check the reviews to make sure it wasn't screwed up. It's getting so that no series is on that list anymore.

The Bucket List: Here's what's on Jack Nicholson's Bucket List:
1) See the Lakers win another championship, baby.
2) Hang out with hot broads whenever possible.
3) Make as much money as I can before the end, even if it means starring in crap like "The Bucket List."

Jumper: After I saw "Go," I was determined to check out whatever Doug Liman directed in the future. Boy, has that determination waned. First "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," now this. Worst of all, each time I see this title in print, that irritating Third Eye Blind song jumps into my head.


High Noon Collector's Edition: I'm not sure this new version is a worthy upgrade over the previous one. There is an improved transfer and one significant new extra, a 50-minute documentary sounds impressive. If you don't already own this one, though, you need to get this. "Do not forsake me, no, my darling..." Hey, cool, Third Eye Blind is outta my head now.

The Rock: The WWE pays tribute to a legendary performer who was truly unique in the industry. He was unique because he managed to get out of the business without meeting a tragic end, destroying his body long-term, or ruining all of his future prospects.

Icons of Adventure: I'll level with you. I knew nothing about the 4 Hammer flicks included in this set, but it's the kind of thing I love to see the big studios doing: Relatively obscure movies packaged just because, with maybe some extras, and given a spot on the release schedule. So if you're at all interested in these DVDs (and here's an excellent review at DVD Savant to help you decide), do yourself and other like-minded individuals a favor and snap this up so that more are prepared.


What's Happening The Complete Series: I have to mention this because Sony's attempt at repackaging of the already-released season sets into one set should be called a DEpackaging. They crammed all the discs onto a spindle. That approach might work for no-frills bootleg sets, but come on. It's so cheap that even TV Shows on DVD called Sony out for this.

No comments: