Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Trying Not to Judge a Book by Its Cover

I'm reading "Charlie Wilson's War," and though it's an excellent book, I'm struggling to get the hideous cover out of my brain.

I didn't want to get the movie tie-in version paperback, but I chose convenience and price over aesthetics, and now whenever I pick up the book, I see Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. It looks cheesy, like less of a "real book" somehow, as if there are just 500-some pages of Official Movie Photos inside. It's irrational, I know, but I kind of feel like a rube reading this version. I mean, what's the point of reading a big, important 500-some-page volume about an Important Topic if carrying it around makes you look like a rube?

It's really not even an artfully composed photo cover. I believe the shot of Hanks and Roberts gazing meaningfully at each other is taken from the film, but in between the two of them is Hoffman's mug, peeking his head into the frame as if to say, "Hey, are we planning Charlie Wilson's war now?" Considering Hoffman's character, Gust, is a central figure in the book and one of its primary sources, I guess I should be glad that someone at least insisted he be on the front somewhere. But cramming him in between the A-listers makes him look ridiculous.

Fortunately, the text itself is so good I'm able to get past my qualms about the idiotic cover. But can you all see the same? If you see me walking around with "Charlie Wilson's War" in my hand, remember, I'm actually reading this book, and it has a lot of words in it. I wanted the more generic-looking original paperback. Please don't think I'm a rube.

No comments: