Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Brooks on Books: "Carry on, Jeeves" by P.G. Wodehouse

There are a lot of people out there who know a whole lot about humor writer P.G. Wodehouse, and I won't pretend to be anything but a novice. But, boy, I had such a good time reading my first Wodehouse book that I had to say something about it.

While there is a lot of biographical and bibliographical info about this British author, it's tough to find authoritative statements about where to begin if you want to enjoy the work. even if you narrow it down and decide you're interested in his most famous creations, Bertie Wooster and his amazing butler Jeeves, you'll find a bunch of people saying, "You can't go wrong starting anywhere," and a good number declaring, "Might as well start from the beginning," as apparently some stories and novels reference earlier ones.

Well, I forgot how I settled on "Carry On, Jeeves," but I was certainly not disappointed by this hilarious book. Wodehouse's prose, most of it delivered by Wooster, is of a certain British style, and you'll know almost right away if you're into it or not. Me, I was hooked early, and I loved this collection of stories (many of which referenced others in the same volume). In "Carry On," you get the apparent Secret Origin of how Jeeves becomes employed by Wooster, a change-of-pace tale narrated by Jeeves, and many other fine short stories.

There is a definite formula here. Virtually all these stories feature Bertie Wooster (or a friend or cousin of his) getting in some kind of socially awkward predicament involving aunts, uncles, and/or clingy women of some type. Then Jeeves, often after apparently coming up empty, concocts a deft scheme to save the day, one usually dependent on some coincidental relationship or situation of which he is aware and is able to exploit.

Because this formula is so consistent, I actually put aside "Carry On, Jeeves" a few stories in, fearing I would burn out. I figured these stories were best read with some space in between so that they would not seem repetitive.

You know what, though? Wodehouse's use of language and his impeccable command of his character's voices are so irresistible, the stories don't seem at all repetitive. I quickly picked the book back up after a day or two and tore through the rest of it. It's just that good.

Maybe after a bunch of these, I would start to worry about the formula, but that sure isn't a consideration yet. I may find out soon because I intend to read a lot more Wodehouse, including a lot more Jeeves and Wooster. "Carry On, Jeeves" pulled me into a world I look forward to exploring.

No comments: