Thursday, December 25, 2008

Gift GETTING Guide--selections from my wish list

You may be saying to yourself, "Well, Mr. Shark, I loved those gift-giving ideas you shared the other day, but what about you. What do YOU want for Christmas?"

I'm glad you asked, and I'm glad to share some ideas. These aren't necessarily the only gifts I'd like or the ones I want most, but they're a representative sample of some of the junk I ask for.

Now, let me get this out of this way first: Yes, I know the economy is hurting and we're all panicking, and I don't mean to promote selfishness and greed. But if we stop buying things for each other, even things that aren't necessities, the spiral only continues. And these aren't things I expect to get, just things it would be nice to have. I already have a loving family and my health (except for this nagging cold), and I'm happy even without this frivolous stuff.

But, boy, would I love to get...

Movies on DVD: I mentioned the Touch of Evil package the other day, but I also have my eye on the new L.A. Confidential Special Edition. I enjoy the VCI noir/crime B-movie collections, and I think by now there must be about 5 or 6 I don't have.
Is it just me or did Warners not deliver a noir box set this year? Well, they did give us a Gangsters Collection, Volume 3, to be exact, and, oh, how I'd love that, though I can wait till its inevitable big price drop. Plus their Warner Brothers and the Homefront Collection is an eventual must for my OWN collection.
I'm also behind on my Sony chronological 3 Stooges discs, my Popeye collections, and my Looney Tunes sets.

TV on DVD: I'm a big fan of the Abbott and Costello Show, and there are two big volumes' worth of DVDs collecting the entire series. I mentioned the Mr. Peepers Season 2 box the other day. The Father Knows Best Season 2 set intrigues me. If money were no object, I'd love to finally get that Twilight Zone Definitive Collection.


Books: Somehow I have yet to purchase the latest Chris Elliott comic novel, Into Hot Air. There's a well-received new biography of legendary pro wrestling innovator Gorgeous George and an acclaimed autobio by Bret "the Hitman" Hart.

I love just about all of the ongoing hardcover reprint series bringing back vintage comic strips. I am collecting Peanuts, Dick Tracy, Steve Canyon, and Popeye...and I'd love to start on the Beetle Bailey, Little Orphan Annie, and Terry & the Pirates editions. And those Showcase and Essential editions reprinting vintage DC and Marvel, respectively, are always welcome on my bookshelves.
And there's always a ton of baseball, history, and movie books I want. I just need time to read them all...

Music: I'm not that hip when it comes to new music, but there are plenty of discs I need from artists I like, such as Kings of Leon, Ryan Adams, Butch Walker, and Ben Folds. And I just discovered this cool-looking Easybeats greatest hits disc.

Do I NEED all this, or even any of this? Nah. But any of it will make me happy. Oh, and as I alluded to when listing some books, "time enough at last" to enjoy the stuff I DO have would be a great gift, too.

I hope each of you get something cool under your tree this year! Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone.

No comments: