Friday, June 26, 2009

Cultureshark remembers Farrah Fawcett...sort of

It may seem petty to complain about rerun selection after a celebrity's death, but, hey, it's kind of what we're about around here. So I ask, is TV Land really paying "tribute" to Farrah Fawcett by rerunning "Chasing Farrah" this weekend? That disaster did Fawcett's image no favors, and, to me, it was the tipping point in the sad decline of the once-great TV Land.

At least the channel is also showing an episode of "Charlie's Angels," and WGN America is stepping up by showing a marathon of the series that remained Fawcett's TV pinnacle. I guess it's too much to ask that someone show a few "Harry O" episodes.

I'm too young to really appreciate the Farrah phenomenon. When NBC showed its Farrah special a few weeks ago, my wife told me she just didn't get her appeal. Fawcett was not my kind of sex symbol--I'd take Lynda Carter as 70s icons go, thank you--but I recognize how big a deal she was at her peak, when everyone apparently had that poster on their wall.

I don't think she's a timeless icon, but a fantasy object of her time. My generation was more about, say, Pamela Anderson. Again, she's not my number one sex symbol. I was more a fan of Debbie Dunning as a Tool Time girl and Carmen Electra as a "Baywatch" Babe. Yet I understand her appeal and I was there to see the impact she had.

I think that's how it is with Farrah Fawcett: You kind of had to be there. I wasn't, but I realize that for a whole bunch of people (mostly men) who were, she was IT. I'm sure they feel this loss big-time, and I feel for 'em.

No comments: