Thursday, June 11, 2009

This Week in DVD

Welcome to another installment of "This Week in DVD," the longest-running DVD column on...this blog. It comes to you this week from my sickbed, or at least my sickchair.

Gran Torino: This movie was derisively referred to by some as a showcase for "Clint Eastwood lelling the kids to get off his lawn. Uh, and what would be wrong with that, exactly?" I'll watch Clint Eastwood yell at kids to get off his lawn, I'll watch him confront an elderly woman in a bingo dispute, I'll watch him race to get to the Super Buffet by 4pm so he makes the Early Bird Special.

The International: This looks like exactly the kind of grown-up action thriller that audiences should be supporting because they are dwindling in number. I didn't see it. I had other stuff to do. But YOU should have gone and seen it.

Jack Lemmon Collection: A bunch of movies with Jack Lemmon.

OK, not the best insight I've ever contributed, but I've been sick this week.

Woodstock Director's Cut: I don't know about you hippies, but I'm all Woodstocked out at this point. Between all the anniversaries and revivals and reruns of the film on cable, I...still haven't seen the whole thing. But I don't feel I need to do so. Someone should make a documentary interviewing all the people who claim they were at the original festival. It might almost be as long as the concert movie.

Father Knows Best Season 3: Don't tell anyone. but I haven't seen season 2 yet. However, I was suprised by how much I enjoyed season 1, and Shout did an even better job with the follow-up, offering unedited episodes. If season 3 continues in that same vein, this should be another winner.

Perry Mason Season 4 Volume 1: Paramount set the MSRP for this half-season of 16 episodes at 49.99, meaning even Amzon's discounted price is 35 bucks. Rationalize it all you want, and I don't blame you if you buy this, but I'm just saying.

Norman Lear Collection: Been there, done that, complained about it, bought the t-shirt, found out the t-shirt had already been released 5 years ago.

Zane Grey Theatre Season 1: I have never seen an episode of this Western anthology, meaning there is a huge gap in my Dick Powell viewing experience. Kudos to VCI for bringing this one to DVD. I could tell you this acclaimed series is chock full of guest stars and solid writing, but really all you need to know is: hosted by (and sometimes starring) DICK POWELL.

The Shield Season 7: SPOILER ALERT: Mackey acts like an a-hole.

No comments: