Friday, June 5, 2009

RTN adds new shows...maybe

It's always difficult to get solid info about Retro Television network programming. My FIOS listings are either vague about specific episode info or just plain wrong (continuing to list "Mike Hammer" on Sundays when the local affiliate is running some kind of local indoor football), and good luck getting worthwhile news on the company's own website.

So it's nice to have Sitcoms Online around to post their press releases. Yesterday, Pavan Badal reported that RTN has acquired rights to 7 news shows, all from independent producers (and rights holders), to supplement its Universal offerings.

Those shows, in increasing order of my interest are:

*Black Beauty: Doesn't interest me because, well, it's "Black Beauty."

*I Spy: Available on DVD, currently running several times a day on Family Net. I have tried several times without success to like this one. Maybe I'll give it another go-round.

*The Cisco Kid: I've never seen this show despite a recommendation from my dad, who picked up a budget compliation set a while back. I seem to remember those episodes were edited, though I could be confusing this show with another. I'll give this one a shot.

*The Rifleman: I love this show, and I think it's great that RTN will give it some exposure. Personally, though, I'd rather see something rarer because I was fortunate enough to see many of the episodes on Encore Westerns recently.

*Daniel Boone and Adventures of Robin Hood: I think these are cool acquisitions even though they are on DVD as well. These are the kinds of shows that just don't get much airplay anymore, TV Land's "Boone" marathon (kind of the exception that proves the rule with that network) of a few years ago notwithstanding.

*Peter Gunn: Ah! THIS is the crown jewel for me, a show I long have wanted to sample but never got around to seeing. I am pumped up and ready to go for this one. I've all but got the popcorn and iced tea for this one...

...which probably means MY RTN channel won't get it. Since local affiliates can choose their own shows, there's no guarantee a given one will get all of these, or any of them, for that matter. I sure hope I can see "Peter Gunn," though.

Of course, there's another half of this equation, one not addressed in the Sitcoms Online story. Will RTN be dumping shows? Since there is no announcment about an expansion of the schedule to eliminate infomercials that clog the overnights, I assume that new additions will replace some of the Universal shows, and I fear they won't be the ones I'd like to see go (I'll avoid singling out any so as not to offend their fans).

I've been busy and trying to catch up on the ol' DVR, so lately I've been taking RTN for granted and not watching a lot of it. Plus they seemed to be recycling a lot of seasons of shows like "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and not moving on in the series runs. By Jove, though, RTN had better not mess with "Quincy."

In fact, apart from "Peter Gunn," I'd kind of rather my RTN channel leave these new shows aside and pick up some of the Universal ones it hasn't yet aired--stuff like "Jack Benny" and "Kojak." Still, it's nice to see RTN expand its programming. Next I'd like to see it strike a deal with another major studio. Fox would be nice--and not just the MTM and Irwin Allen shows, either, but something like "Room 222" or "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir."

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

One thing I've noticed about RTN of late is that they've been speeding up the closing credits to a lot of their shows, Bachelor Father being the most notable culprit. Why they're doing this I have no idea, unless they absolutely, positively have to scare up another sixty seconds for Robert Goldwater ("You may be entitled to a large cash reward.").

Rick Brooks said...

Screwing with the credits?

UH-oh....

Let's hope this isn't the start of a new, obnoxious RTN. I'm gonna blame this on the Universal vault fire. Don't ask me what that would have to do with speeding up the credits, but people seem to blame that for a lot of things.