Monday, October 26, 2009

The new TV season summarized

I've written a lot of posts about new TV lately, and I'll try to throw in some more variety soon, but now I think it's time to assess what's going on with the new shows. If you've been reading the blog lately, especially my Should You Watch? posts, you've seen many of my thoughts, but I've also sampled some other series and maybe changed my take on some I already covered. I divide the new shows into several categories:

KEEPERS

By this, I mean new shows that are actually saved as series to record on my DVR. This is a prestigious honor given to less and less network shows each year, mind you, but nevertheless I find it sad that out of all the TV I watched in September and October, only two efforts are week-in, week-out watches for me: Modern Family and Community. The former hasn't always lived up to its pilot but is funny each time out, while the latter continues to improve. Each show is also trying to demonstrate that elusive quality of "heart," and while it doesn't always seem organic, hey, at least these guys are trying. Bravo to each of those shows, although that word is inappropriate because they're way too good to be on Bravo.

DISASTERS

Yeah, it might make more structural sense to build this post up until we get to the real stinkers, but why make you wait? Many new shows are so bad, they can only be deemed disasters. Brothers is terrible execution of a bizarre concept: Let's build a sitcom around former New York Giant Michael Strahan!

The Forgotten doesn't strike me as a terrible show, but its ratings were a disaster, and you have to wonder who thought it was a good idea to build a procedural around Christian Slater so soon after "My Own Worst Enemy" bombed. Now, I don't think it's a bad idea to give Kelsey Grammer another chance at a sitcom, but the public and the media strongly rejected Hank, and based on the pilot, I can't blame them.

I thought Mercy was just mediocre at first, but I saw another episode recently and decided it's downright bad. If you're into that kind of corny female-centered medical show, though, and ABC doesn't give you enough, hey, have at it. There are also corny female-centered sitcoms around, too, though--witness Accidentally on Purpose.

PRETTY BAD:

Trauma's first episode was too ridiculous to warrant another viewing, despite some exciting explosions in the first 10 minutes. Eastwick is another one of those "not my cup of witches brew" kind of deals. If it were on after "Desperate Houswives" and I got stuck watching 10 minutes of it, it wouldn't kill me. Cougar Town surprised me with a funny pilot, then got sillier and less effective, and I bailed. The Middle may be an OK show, but I didn't find the first episode all that funny, and I just don't see the appeal of tuning in to a Patricia Heaton vehicle each Wednesday.

I already wrote about my problems with Glee.


NOT BAD BUT NOT MUST SEE, EITHER:

There are a few shows which were well done but not compelling enough to make me seek them out each week. The Good Wife is a decent legal drama with the hook of Julianna Marguiles as a wife victimized by a scandal involving her cheating hubby. CBS seems to think we're fascinated by the idea of what happens to the wife in that kind of situation after she stands by her creep of a spouse in front of the cameras. Me, not so much. But I like Marguiles, and the show is entertaining and well produced.

Flash Forward delivered an entertaining first hour, but the intriguing premise didn't pop enough to keep me around, and I have to admit that, yes, part of my reluctance to keep up was a fear that the show would suck me in and then get canceled, or suck me in and then wander aimlessly without advancing plotlines.

I liked the pilot of The Cleveland Show much more than I anticipated. It definitely looks, sounds, maybe even feels like "Family Guy," but it's more focused and consistent--at least that episode. I may catch up on this one eventually.

NOT SEEN YET:

Three Rivers, NCIS: Los Angeles, Melrose Place, Vampire Diaries

Am I really missing anything there? I think not.

No comments: