Tuesday, October 6, 2009

This Week in DVD

Year One: Come with Jack Black and Michael Cera back to a time long, long ago...a time before being funny was invented, apparently.

My Life in Ruins: I just don't have the heart to make fun of Nia Vardalos today. I don't know how many times since I sat through "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" I have mentioned her, but I bet I've made fun of her each time. Not today.

But, yeah, this looks terrible.

Assassination of a High School President: I know nothing about this movie except that Bruce Willis is on the DVD cover. How many films can Bruce Willis be in? Seriously, I've heard "The Surrogates" might not be as terrible as its seeming dump by its studio would indicate, but he shows up pretty regularly in stuff like this, and you just thing the guy may be cool, but he needs to take up Facebook or something.

Imagine That: Well, at least this time, Eddie can't point to a ton of money the movie made and rub it in our faces. It's good that Family Eddie Murphy makes some bombs, too--it lessens the chance of a PG "Beverly Hills Cop IV."

The Lola Falana Show: Hey, maybe now I'll understand all those Lola Falana references on "Sanford and Son." If she's good enough for Fred Sanford, she's got to be good enough for me.

Karloff and Lugosi Horror Classics: I tag my posts about old movies "classic movies" even though many of them are really not "classics" per se. Similarly, not every single film on The Greatest Cable Channel Known to Mankind is a classic by everyone's (sometimes anyone's) definition of the word. See what I'm getting at here?

But I say, who cares? You think I'm gonna gripe about Warners releasing a Kay Kyser flick AND a Brown and Carney flick on DVD--real, honest-to-goodness, pressed, NON-Archive discs, no less? Oh, yeah, that Karloff and that Lugosi are cool, too.

Murphy's Law Season One: Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the first season of an acclaimed British drama, seen years back on the American Beeb but presented here on our soil on DVD for the first time. Ladies and gentleman, I give you the immortal James ~NESBITT~. And as former AWA great Baron Von Raschke used to say, "That is all the people need to know."

Ken Burns' National Parks: America's Best Idea: What? It's not the buffalo wing? I chickened out of watching 12 hours of this on PBS, but maybe I'll sit down one month and catch it all on DVD...with a plate of buffalo wings.

No comments: