Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dream theater: Stanwyck, Marvin, and Me

The other night I had two sort-of-classic-movie-related dreams. At least, they involved classic movie stars. I'll leave the interpretation to you; I report, you psychoanalyze.

In the opener, I was preparing to ride a horse (I don't think I actually got on the creature) through a suburban neighborhood. A horse trainer/minder was getting the animal ready, while hovering over me, already mounted (on the HORSE--this isn't that kind of dream) was Barbara Stanwyck.

This was more "Double Indemnity"-era Babs, not "Big Valley" Babs, but she was sure dispensing wisdom like an old pro of the saddle. Actually, she was telling me how difficult it was going to be for me. Stanwyck kept harping on the point that the previous time I rode a horse, I could just go straight, whereas I would have to keep turning this time and would therefore have a tough go of it.

Not that I don't respect the legendary Ms. Stanwyck, but, man, she was being a real killjoy. I'll admit I was a bit nervous, and she wasn't making things any easier, showing off like Annie Oakley and doing a little subtle trash-talking.

The second dream was more ambiguous but also quite a bit cooler. I not only got to see Lee Marvin in this mini-movie, but I WAS Lee Marvin. It was nighttime, and I was rifling through the drawers in an apartment or hotel bedroom. What I was looking for, I don't know. I think I was too proud of myself for being Lee Marvin to pay much attention to detail.

I really don;t know much of what was going on there, and my alarm woke me before much happened, but I know that whatever I was doing, it was cool.

No comments: