Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Half-Assed Gourmet: Ah, trans fats...

I recently looked through one of those "Eat This, Not That" books (which are excellent, by the way, loaded with info and lively writing) and discovered that my favorite microwave popcorn was loaded in that evil substance known to cause death, disorder, and even discombobulation in all who cross its path: TRANS FAT.

In an effort to live healthier, I followed the book's recommendation and substituted a healthy, "smart" alternative next time I was at the supermarket. This brand was 100% free of the dreaded trans fats, so I could stick that sucker in the microwave, nuke it up, and enjoy a healthy snack.

Well, I ATE a healthy snack. Enjoy? Not so much. It tasted dry and bland, almost like something was missing. In fact, something was missing: those yummy trans fats. I wanted to get me a big ol' bowl of trans fats, melt it up separately, and then pour it on my bag of healthy popcorn.

That may sound disgusting, but it's not like it's a totally bizarro idea. After all, that very process takes place every day at your local gigundaplex, where each blast of the "butter-flavored topping" that goes over your popcorn is surely loaded with enough trans fats to fuel several bags of microwave popcorn.

Oh, I'm not gonna go back to my old favorite, at least not on a regular basis, now that the fun has been spoiled for me. But I'm not gonna eat this sensible stuff, either.

No comments: