Friday, November 12, 2010

Put on a happy face!

I love visiting TV Shows on DVD to read the latest news releases about upcoming official products. I think the guys who run it do have a passion for the site, and it's nice having a fairly credible source where one can quickly determine the status of a series on disc.

BUT...the approach there is a little bit too "cheerleader" for my tastes sometimes. Take this week's news item about the new Time-Life "Six Million Dollar Man" complete series set. The exclusion of a blooper reel that had been previously announced is not in and of itself a huge deal, but I'm sure it's a bummer for fans; more to the point, in my view, is that this is announced at the last minute as the boxes are shipping. I'm not suggesting anyone ordered this expensive set just for that particular feature, but it seems at least a little shady for the company to give out this info at the last minute, and besides, it's at least a downer for purchasers to get one less (potentially cool) component.

But if you entertain any of these downer thoughts, just read this:

It's regrettable that this information wasn't available to us sooner; we've passed it along the same day we found out. However, the studio's statement is dead-on: there ARE still many, many wonderful goodies on this massive set, and it's difficult for us to criticize Time Life, considering all of the massive amount of work their team has putting into this release...a true dream-come-true for fans in so many ways! The bloopers having to come out of the collection is unfortunate, but we certainly have lots of other bonus items to enjoy! I know I can't wait to get my copy, and we're sure you'll feel the same.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Six-Million-Dollar-Man-The-Complete-Series/14670#ixzz155v8IkfJ

I can only imagine what would have happened had Time Life forgot to include one of the seasons:

It's regrettable that Time Life ignored an entire season, but there are still 32 out of 40 DVDs to enjoy! That's 80% of the complete series!

Or if Time Life accidentally packaged "The Bionic Woman" in the boxes instead of "Man":

It's regrettable that Time Life made this mishap, but we're still getting a long-awaited classic we've been waiting for so long! I can't wait to get my copy of whichever series is included, and we're sure you'll feel the same.

No comments: