Sunday, November 7, 2010

Last Week and This Week in DVD

Toy Story 3: Hey, sometimes sequels rule. I'm not gonna even bother looking into whether or not Disney put all the cool extras on the Blu-Ray and not the "standard" DVD. I'm jut gonna keep basking in the afterglow of having seen it and enjoyed it in a real, live, actual the-AY-ter.

Sex and the City 2: One of the advantages of my wife not reading this blog: Maybe she won't notice this is out on DVD and ask me to rent it for her. Now if I can just keep her away from TV, magazines, and radio ads...

Winter's Bone: I don't know much about this, but it involves meth, and it sounds depressing as hell. Yet I'd still rather take my chances with it than with "Sex and the City 2."

The Girl Who Played with Fire: Can someone explain to me how there are only 3 books in the trilogy, yet somehow, like, a dozen movies came out in the past year?

Centurion: This apparent "300"-wanna-be was on demand on my cable system a few months ago, I think. Let's just say I didn't demand it then, and I won't now.

Bing Crosby Collection: Unfortunately, this doesn't include Bing's bitchin' kineoscope library (what else did he have down in his wine cellar with the 1960 World Series Game 7?), but it does include a W.C. Fields picture, and at any rate, it's a legitimate DVD set with a handful of old Crosby flicks at a reasonable price. Just like the old days! Kudos to Universal.

The Fugitive Season 4 Volume 1: I'm still waiting for definitive word on how much Paramount butchered the original soundtrack on this set. Once we get past that, we can bitch about the split season thing again.

This is one of the best TV series of all time, but I can't see myself purchasing any of these sets, if only because I still have a feeling someone's gonna go back and "fix" some of those earlier sets with a more-or-less intact score for the inevitable Complete Series Megaset. Of course, it'll probably be on Blu-Ray only...

Larry Sanders Complete Series: It's about time for one of the best TV series ever. There's also a season 2 set, so maybe the individual seasons will come out slowly, too. Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but Shout isn't making these DVDs just for ME.

Hmm, but in case it is, hey, Shout, how's about making a "Get a Life" Complete Series set next?

Captain Video/Super Circus: Apparently a repackaging of two earlier separate releases for these primitive kiddies shows. I list it here to illustrate how difficult it is to get reliable information on more obscure DVDs like this. I appreciated Alpha's earlier "Captain Video" DVD and wondered if the company had unearthed some more episodes. Evidently, it did not.

The Deputy (Complete Series): Timeless goes all the way this time with the old "Henry Fonda was kinda in it from time to time" Western series.

Paramount Christmas DVDs: In addition to reissuing its previous sampler disc, the company releases another assortment of Christmas episodes. No real surprises here, though it's amusing to see a "Hey, remember when you used to make DVD sets of me?" show like "Love, American Style" make an appearance.

No comments: