Friday, December 24, 2010

Last Week and This Week in DVD

This is the kind of time when you are glad Netflix is building up the streaming because a lot of interesting titles are subject to that cursed 28-day window. I doubled up to get one big ol' holiday post of This Week and Last Week in DVD:

The Other Guys: Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg team up in a buddy movie from Adam McKay. This will be either really funny or really stupid. Oh, who are we kidding? We know it'll be both.

The Town: I'm really looking forward to Ben Affleck's latest acclaimed directorial effort. Hey, isn't it time we stopped mocking him for Ben-Lo and for "Gigli"? OK, well, at least for "Gigli"?

Despicable Me: It seems like a lot of cartoons lately feature supervillains with lovable interiors. I miss the days when you had unambiguous bad-asses like Snidely Whiplash.

The A-Team: Available in a special "Extended Cut." Ah, I love it when a marketing gimmick comes together.

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole: I remember seeing the trailer for this in a movie theater a while ago, and while the animation looked kinda pretty and whatnot, I had to bust out laughing. I mean, it was OWLS. And it was all serious and stuff. With OWLS. I still kind of chuckle about this.

Cyrus: John C. Reilly woos Marisa Tomei, but her son Jonah Hill is kind of weird about it in this quirky indie-type comedy. It's hard to get excited about the inevitable Marisa Tomei nudity when you realize it could well be combined with some intolerable John C. Reilly nudity.

Nanny McPhee Returns: More moles! More warts! More chin hairs! MORE NANNY McPHEE!

1960 World Series Game 7: Recently broadcast on MLB Network, yes, but every loyal Pittsburgh Pirate fan--yep, the few hundreds of us--will want to own this recently rediscovered classic on DVD.

The IT Crowd Season 4: I've said it before and will say it again: This is one of the funniest shows I've seen in the last 10 years, and if you haven't seen it on IFC, try to catch it on video.

Honeymooners Christmas Special: This is all well and good, but I'm getting the sense that MPI is never gonna do a proper Complete Lost Episodes collection, especially now that the company is reportedly working on "The Donna Reed Show." And MPI decided to put ONE hourlong special on this release instead of putting both the 1970s Christmas episodes on the disc--an approach that, sadly, has been typical of the milk-the-fans approach the company has taken with this property. Incidentally, the "Classic 39" Christmas episode is one of my favorite yuletide TV efforts of all time.

WWE Top 50 Superstars of All Time: Wouldn't it be great if they did the BOTTOM 50 Superstars of all time, with profiles of Bastion Booger, T.L. Hopper, and so on? Yes, it would!

THIS WEEK:

Salt: Remember when Angelina Jolie was cool? Now she's starring in movies named for condiments.

Easy A: I think Emma Stone is adorable and a real talent, and I hope this movie is as good as it looks. I also hope my wife doesn't ask me if I'm renting it because I think Emma Stone is hot.

Step Up 3: Good gravy, THREE? Someone stop this franchise before it replicates again.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps: Well, at least it isn't a THIRD. I'd rather see Oliver Stone do a sequel to "JFK." Since the original came out, millions of people have been born that can now be implicated.

The Films of Rita Hayworth: Still one of the classiest and loveliest of screen goddesses, and Sony pays her tribute with this 5-disc set. It also pays tribute to sneaky business techniques by including two movies that were already available on DVD.

No comments: