Saturday, December 18, 2010

What's My Line is back...for now.

I have two comments about this development, one positive, one kind of cynical. Let's kick off with the positive: This is a great thing. Even if "What's My Line" and "I've Got a Secret" are exiled to the wee hours of 3:00 A.M., at least they're on and DVR-able. I don't know if they're running episodes that have been played countless times on GSN in the past; I didn't really get into these (or have access to them) until the run of black-and-white overnight was on its way out, so it'll be new to me regardless.

Of course, after next week, it's back to "Card Sharks" in that timeslot, but, hey, enjoy it while you can.

And to be even more positive, how cool was it the other night when the mystery guest was Arnold Stang? The guy came out in total Stangian glory, and the studio audience went nuts.

I submit to you, dear readers, that America was a far better place when the sight of Arnold Stang could make a sophisticated live audience go nuts. Today, that kind of guy would have a hard time getting on the air, period, let alone being put in a position to draw that reception. And let's not even mention what the prospects of someone as non-telegenic as panelist Fred Allen would be today.

Now here's the thing that rubs me the wrong way about this "WAYBACK FLASHBACK" block, as GSN is showing it. The channel is running these little irreverent bumpers, possibly going for an Adult Swim kind of feel. An example I saw the other day put this message up on the screen:

Do you lead an interesting life, full of meaning and purpose? We can fix that.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but to me this comes off as GSN's smart-ass indictment of the hardcore fans who obsess over the black and white classics and bemoaned their departure from the regular schedule. It's like, "Yeah, we're gonna show these again for a few weeks, but we're not gonna respect you for watching them, and in fact we're gonna tease you losers for caring about this kind of show." Another bumper made reference to people watching the shows alone, and I just got a vibe like...ehhh, am I just overreacting?

No comments: