Tuesday, December 14, 2010

New feature: This Week in Instant Watching

Due to the whelming response to the official Cultureshark This Week in DVD column, I'm implementing what may be a new regular feature: This Week in Instant Watching, in which I'll examine notable titles that have popped up on Netflix's streaming service in, oh, usually about the last week or so.

Please note that like the DVD column, this is a subjective feature, and the titles chosen may be idiosyncratic. Also, while new release data of DVDs is easy to find, quality info about Instant Watching is often elusive. Let me give credit here to InstantWatcher.com, which I recommend strongly as a source of info for what's available and what's expiring on the 'Flix. Another great site/resource I discovered recently is Psychotronic Netflix, which has a great Facebook page. Let me also give credit to Friend of the Site Brian Dennehy for recommending this column.

(A friend of the site and, more importantly, a pal o'mine suggested this recurring post idea; but I'm gonna give credit to Dennehy because his endorsement might give me some more pub. I'm sure he'll understand, and if not, hey, HE can be the one to tell Dennehy.)

Before we get to specific titles, a few notes: 1) Netflix is adding _tons_ of low-budget crime and noir lately, 2) Netflix is adding tons of B-Westerns, and 3) very, very quietly--so quietly I barely see fan awareness of this on the web, let alone credible info on to what extent this will continue, Netflix is adding some of the early Warner Archives titles to its streaming roster.

Here, finally, are some of the more interesting titles that are now available on Netflix IW:

Cold Souls: Paul Giamatti plays himself, an actor who gives his soul away for cold storage. This could go two ways: 1) It's quirky and awesome, or 2) It's quirky and annoying and just doesn't work. But either way, you have Giamatti.

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire: You know, one of the best things about the very notion of "Instant Watching" is that it provides the opportunity to catch a flick on a whim, without having to wait for the turnaround time necessitated by mail delivery of physical discs. That said, was there ever LESS of a "watch it on a whim" movie than "Precious"? I can't picture too many people going, "Ah, what a long day. Think I'll veg out with a Netflix movie tonight. Let's see--HEY! Precious! All right! I'll get the popcorn!"

The Sound of Fury: No, not an adaptation of the wild classic Faulkner novel I read a few years ago (see, I read books about things other than sports and TV, honest), but a rare low-budget noir circulating for years under the alternate title "Try and Get Me." I've read about this for years but never seen a trace of it. Of all the stuff that has popped up on Netflix in, oh, the last year, this may be the most personally exciting, and I look forward to finally seeing this.

Kill or Be Killed: Lest we praise Netflix TOO much, let's remember the site still does goofy things like this: It listed a 1950 Lawrence Tierney movie here, and with such an awesome title, who WOULDN'T want to add that to their queue? Only, when I went to do so, I discovered the actual video is a 1970s kung fu movie. The title is still awesome, but I'm kind of bummed.

Knock on Wood and My Favorite Spy: These Danny Kaye and Bob Hope movies are available as part of an apparent deal Netflix has with Paramount and/or Olive Films (I notice all the recent Olive DVD releases of movies it licensed from the studio are showing up on IW).

The Happy Hooker Goes to Washington: I mention this 1977 Joey Heatherton flick because I feel I should give a nod to all you art house cinema fans out there.

Lost: The Series: Now that you know what it all "means," sit back and enjoy the show for its questionable acting, obtuse dialogue, and convoluted plotting without worrying about all that pesky mythology.

Hard, Fast, and Beautiful: Some may think think this is notable just because it's an Ida Lupino movie, but it's also one of those Warner Archives releases, and I think it's great, exciting news that such titles, which have not even been available on disc, are trickling into the Netflix system. More, please!

Penn of Pennsylvania: I just like that back in the old days (this one is from 1942), studios could make a biopic of William Penn without having some wild hook to it. Just, "hey, this guy is a famous historical figure, and here's a movie about his life." Of course, today, even most Pennsylvanians probably don't know who William Penn is, let alone have the desire to see his biopic.

Undercover Brother: 2002 blaxploitation/spy sendup that has good rewatchability and is ideal for this service. I think this movie was a year or two ahead of its time. I mean, it even gave Neil Patrick Harris a big role--a full two years before "Harold and Kumar."

About a Boy: Excellent adaptation of Nick Hornby's great novel, this is so good it makes you wonder what happened to directors Chris and Paul Weitz. Just look at their filmographies after this one, and you'll see what I mean.

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

You do know, of course, that The Sound of Fury/Try and Get Me! is the noir that will be restored as part of the For the Love of Film (Noir) film preservation blogathon scheduled next February 2011 and hosted by Ferdy on Films and Self-Styled Siren. If you do not participate in this momentous event, Mr. Brooks, I will personally come to Cultureshark Tower and have you worked over by my hired goons. (I even promise to have your copy of City That Never Sleeps finished by then.)

Rick Brooks said...

Ivan, thanks for the heads-up, my friend. The last time I was in a "thon" of anything was when I helped Shortcake in that dance marathon at Arnold's, and it took a lot out of me. But I'll keep it on my radar. And I'll keep an eye out for those goons, quite frankly.