Saturday, January 1, 2011

It's like it never even happened

It's great having tons of stuff available "on demand" through Netflix Instant Watching, but the programming doesn't last forever, you know. I was glancing at my streaming queue the other day when I noticed a couple dozen or so titles were expiring January 1, so I figured it was time for me to finally see Woody Allen's "Radio Days" while it was "free."

Unfortunately, my eyelids won out over the Woodman's delightful, nostalgic look at growing up in the days of Old-Time Radio, and I bailed after 10 minutes before I just fell asleep for good. That was Thursday night. Last night was New Year's Eve, and I just couldn't make time for the film--or any film, for that matter--when the Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block were performing on ABC. So I never got back to it.

The weird thing is that when I log onto my Netflix account now, "Radio Days" doesn't show up in a search anymore, and even more bizarre, it isn't in the "Recently Watched" row on my Roku screen. It's like the movie never even existed. I mean, I know I was tired Thursday night, but not so tired as to hallucinate the first 10 minutes of a Woody Allen movie...at least not one of his post early-1970s ones.

I know I missed my chance, but it just seems odd that the movie has not just been deactivated but eradicated. No "Radio Days" for you! Don't even think about trying to stream it!

UPDATE: Mere minutes after posting this, I got an e-mail from Netflix asking, "How was the picture quality in Radio Days?" So they admit, it DID happen! Unfortunately, there is no option for me to respond, "It was fine until you yanked it from the service and I couldn't see the rest of it," so I did not reply.

No comments: