Saturday, January 8, 2011

One good reason to watch Antenna TV: Totally Tooned In

I don't think I have enough space to explain the deal with the origins of the "Totally Tooned In" syndication package--well, OK, I have plenty of space, but I don't have the inclination. Let me just say it's a batch of 65 half-hour collections of 3 vintage Columbia/UPA cartoons each, and it's now running on Antenna TV in a 6-episode (!) block each Saturday morning. Click here for the full story.

I watched some of these today, then watched some more with my little girl. They are both appropriate and inappropriate for her, and that's the great thing about these 'toons.

It's cool seeing the original Mr. Magoo, but the real highlight for me is the "Fox and Crow" series scattered throughout this package. It's good, old-fashioned confrontational cartoon fun (it's really more like Fox VERSUS Crow) with a little of the old ultraviolence for us traditionalists.

The first one I saw today featured the two animals warring over a grape, and though that may not sound like much, let me assure it was a refreshing dose of animated mayhem in a society that seems to have moved away from that kind of stuff in programming that airs during the kiddie hours. This particular short, for example, featured the Fox pulling a gun on Crow, Crow smoking a cee-gar the whole time, and both repeatedly slamming each other with blunt objects.

This Fox and Crow stuff has fast become my favorite cartoon on Antenna, even surpassing "Too Close for Comfort," although I will admit it's tough to top the mugging Ted Knight does on THAT show.

No comments: