Sunday, May 1, 2011

Brooks on Books: Arthur Marx's Groucho: A Photographic Journey

Given the recent passing of Groucho Marx's son, comedy writer and biography author Arthur, I'd like to tout a great book I picked up last year on the cheap at a Barnes & Noble. I don't remember what the "Bargain Book" price was for it, but if you find it on the cheapo tables at your local book megastore (assuming one remains), pick it up. It's worth it.

Originally published in 2001, this gorgeous coffee table book (you ever notice how often coffee table books are "gorgeous"? You don't often hear about someone picking up a "gorgeous Tom Clancy paperback" in an airport, but if you hear someone describe a coffee table book WITHOUT using the word, you'd better steer clear of it) offers an assortment of Arthur's personal photos of Groucho and various notables. Throughout, Groucho appears both in costume and out, both in character and, say, playing ping-pong with his kids.

Simply put, it's a must-read for any Groucho fan. Arthur's text is sparse but effective at providing context for all these wonderful photos. I could spend a paragraph or two describing how cool it is to see shots like those of The Hollywood Victory Caravan, a wartime touring outfit featuring Jimmy Cagney, Cary Grant, Pat O'Brien, and others along with Groucho. But really, just get the book.

Arthur did a great job at putting this material together, but perhaps a good portion of the credit should go to "Editor" Frank Ferrante. I'm not sure how much Ferrante actually did, but the man's Groucho bona fides are impeccable; he has rightfully received acclaim for his one-man show performing as the legend.

If you read this post here, or this one, you might wonder how Arthur could have even put a few words together, let alone produce an awesome book. Mark Rothman has a long resume--I respect him just for working on "The Odd Couple"--and his blog is a lot of fun because he pulls no punches. But, man, he savages Arthur Marx in these two posts. Worth a read unless you're automatically opposed to the idea of ripping someone so recently deceased.

Well, hack or no hack, Arthur Marx was at least involved with Groucho: A Photographer's Journey," and I love it. I'll admit I haven't gotten around to reading any of his other books, but this one is good enough to earn nothing but nice words from me today.

2 comments:

mark rothman said...

From Mark Rothman:
I DID actually consider whether or not it was too soon to crap all over Arthur Marx.
Osama Bin Laden was far less dead than Arthur Marx was when I wrote those articles. And people were instantly dancing in the streets.
It's simply a matter of degree.

Rick Brooks said...

Thanks for the comment. I was taken aback by your original posts, but, hey, I'm not judging. After all, I loved reading them.