Friday, August 4, 2017

Streaming Video Power Rankings Week #71 (Special "Ah, '71 was a good year--the Pirates won it all" edition)

1) Netflix: I wasn't impressed with the August 1 catalog dump--it's nice to have The Matrix trilogy, but not much else is exciting--and I am not into Wet Hot American Summer. However, I AM interested in Michael Keaton in The Founder, and Netflix has to at least chuckle that for a change, HBO and not it was hacked.

2) Hulu: I detect real long-term momentum building for Hulu. More people are becoming aware of its movie library and appreciating recent announcements of catalog acquisitions. It looks like losing the Criterion Collection barely hurt the service. In September, once Fall TV starts, Hulu will look even more valuable.

3) YouTube: My main man Sean Mc has been on a tear lately, giving us plenty of those great 1970s and 1980s ads and promos! Plus I discovered a new (to me) channel with tons of old TV movies. Yes, I have my beef with YT every now and then, including some of the inane channels my kids watch on there, but overall, it delivers tons of free entertainment each week.

4) Nosey: I'm a little disturbed that Sally is nowhere to be seen in the "Most Popular Videos" category on here. Is it possible a whole generation of viewers is going through life unaware of the greatness of Sally's troubled teen episodes?

5) Tubi TV: Hey, since when did Tubi have the Steed/Peel Avengers episodes? Well, they do now!

6) Watch ESPN: This one really came through for me when I realized my off-satellite recordings of 30 for 30: Best of Enemies were screwy. I wish the Roku version had all the 30 for 30 shorts that are on the web version, though.

7) Shout! Factory TV: August doesn't look particularly interesting, with just a few MST3K episodes added, but I did enjoy seeing Richard Lewis guest on an old Dr. Ruth show.

8) Warner Archive Instant: Time for some more content, WAI. Not everyone is as crazy about Eight Is Enough and Dr. Kildare as I am.

9) Crackle: Almost a pity ranking, but it did add a lot of stuff in August. The classic TV section can really use a boost, though, and it's been a very quiet summer for Crackle.

10) Brown Sugar: This relatively new (less than a year old) app gets a spot for finally getting on Roku. I think it's a great idea--emphasis on African-American movies, with a marketing emphasis on classic Blaxploitation, with a 3.99/month price tag. It gets a giant demerit, though, for apparently preventing you from browsing its library without signing up.

No comments: