Saturday, August 26, 2017

Streaming Video Power Rankings: Week #74

1) Hulu: Now that I eradicated several rare tropical diseases and eradicated crime in my surrounding environs, I am ready to move on to my next summer project: catching up on Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Hulu.

2) Netflix:  Another week, another barrage of announcements. Netflix sure is good at making announcements and spending money. Perhaps even more important for this week, the new Chuck Lorre sitcom disjointed, the new adaptation of Death Note (I really don't know the story with it, but I know it's a big deal to a lot of people), The Good Place, and...yeah, it doesn't seem like a big week now that I look at it. Even the announcements--a Def Jam Comedy special, a Lady Gaga documentary--don't thrill me. Time to  put Hulu on top again.

3) Warner Archive Instant: Is anyone home there? The WAI Twitter feed has been active and entertaining lately, but the people who actually add stuff to the service seem to be on extended summer break. Fortunately, there is still all that Eight Is Enough, like the emotional marriage of Tom and Abbey I watched this week.

4) Tubi TV: As Tubi Tweeted out this week, it has the original Death Note for those interested in checking it out. Also, it added the classic Britcom The I.T. Crowd and a host of interesting films, such as the original Stagecoach, I Married a Witch, Quadrophenia, and Kenny Rogers as the Gambler (one of the best movie titles in all of cinematic history).

5) YouTube: When I get obsessed with a song I hear on TuneIn, I come here to listen to it 10 times in a row.

6) Pub-D-Hub: Strong update last week, including tons of old commercial blocks, episodes of As the World Turns and Howdy Doody, and more, plus I enjoyed an episode of I Led Three Lives.

7) Showtime: This network is getting lots of attention for the big fight Saturday and has been milking it with all kinds of commerc--uh, documentary programming devoted to it. It will have replay rights, too, and maybe it will use this platform to unveil something cool.

8) MLB.TV: The Pirates continue to sink, but I did get to see the awesome finish when Josh Harrison's walkoff HR ended a no-hitter by Dodgers pitcher Rich Hill.

9) Amazon Prime: I'm torn between thinking another The Tick, which premieres this weekend, is cool and thinking, "Haven't there already been like 10 different versions?"

10) Nosey: Gets credit for adding a bunch of episodes of Sally (Wow, I never, ever thought I would write that), but LOSES credit for none of them being "troubled teens" episodes (Now, that, I can see writing).

No comments: