Saturday, August 4, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #122

1) YouTube: Please don't judge me for watching a list of the "funniest farts on live TV." I stumbled on it while on another YouTube rabbit hole journey.

You can judge me for watching that clip's sequel.

2) Hulu: Hey, Justice League Action is pretty good. Let's hope DC doesn't yank it when it launces its own streaming service in a couple months.

You know what showed up as part of the August catalog drop? Point Break, which I watched recently on Crackle. I sure wish I had waited to watch it on Hulu.

The Hulu originals don't seem to be sticking, though. Casual  has returned, and it has its fans, and, yeah, Handmaid's Tale is a big deal, but is anyone watching Harlots?

3) MLB TV: This trading deadline actually made me more excited to be a Pirates fan, and I am pumped for the rest of the season.

4) Amazon Prime Video: You really have to watch this one because it surprises you. Example: High Noon is now streaming on here? Reportedly, it's changing its interface to be simpler for viwers, and that change can't come fast enough.

5) Netflix: If you  haven't yet checked out the series of articles Vulture ran a while back on Netflix, I highly recommend you do so now. There is a lot of fascinating detail in there.

It was a relatively slow week IMO for adds, but I enjoyed catching up on a few oldies. I'm not sure how I feel about the new interface, but it's a lot easier to navigate than Prime!

6) WWE Network: The collection it added as a tribute to the late Nikolai Volkoff combined essentials and rarities. It's the kind of thing that shows the excellent potential of the network--a potential that is realized more and more each month.

7) Shout! Factory TV: I personally want to see more variety on here--lately it's really heavy on horror movies--but I do give Shout! credit for having a substantial August update and having it active on Roku as soon as the month began.

8) Hoopla: I watched all 4 episodes of the first season of Striking Out on here. It's a watchable drama with likable characters. Again, I will say if you can't make it to your library to get the Acorn shows on DVD, you can find an awful lot of them here.

9) The Roku Channel: Now is your chance to watch the final years of Good Times, when the show centered on Wilona and Bookman...not that I advocate this, but it is your chance. Roku is rotating seasons of this and Bewitched plus I Dream of Jeannie every couple months. I wonder what happens when it gets to the end of, say, Good Times. Will it go back to the beginning, or will it add another sitcom?

10) Filmstruck: You have to love a service that adds Pelle the Conqueror, Strange Brew, andArsenic and Old Lace in the same drop. I have to love that I just signed up again, meaning you can expect to see this as a fixture in the rankings again!

No comments: