Saturday, August 11, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #123

1) Netflix: My kids have embraced Sugar Rush, and you know, I am enjoying it, too. I am wary of the growing amount of reality series on here, but I admit some of them interest me!

This week's slate of adds isn't all that interesting, but I admit there is a lot of variety, and there's something to be said for just going back and watching all the stuff that's already on there. I realized I stopped watching The Flash on CW way earlier than I expected, so I am finishing the season on Netflix and enjoying the lack of ads.

2) Prime Video: I have actually been watching some Prime lately, including The Expanse, which I think I am on the verge of officially "getting into." Other than the new Agatha Christie adaptation with Bill Nighy, Ordeal by Innocence, there isn't a lot new here, but there are trailers for the next season of Mrs. Maisel  and Homecoming, and there are a lot of older classic movies appearing (I'm not sure all by legit means, but, hey, it's not my job to find out).

I noticed that seasons 1 and 3 of the original British Men Behaving Badly are now on Prime, hopefully just a warmup for the appearance of the complete run. If those later seasons appear and I can see them without having to get Acorn, then I guarantee you Prime will be #1.

Well, maybe not #1, but in the top 3.

Well, maybe not the top 3 if there's a lot of completion, but definitely in the top FIVE.

OK, I can't guarantee that, either, but it'll be ranked, and I'll be happy. Let's leave it at that and be thankful for any bit of sunshine in this cruel world.

3) Filmstruck: Oh, I love having Filmstruck. I loved it more when I wasn't paying for it, but I still love it. As I have commented numerous times, the TCM-ization of this service continues with themed collections like this weekend's William Wellman and Frank Sinatra salutes. As for me, I am now officially trying to watch a bunch of things that are leaving this month, like the Bette Davis movies.

4) YouTube: I watched a lot of goofy stuff here (and I mean that as a positive), and I would rate it higher except I am still getting used to the latest user interface change on Roku. I think YT changes things every few months...in response to a diminishing number of requests.

5) Hulu: It's still losing tons of money, but the news that Disney will keep R-rated flicks (and most other non-traditional Disney-ish content) off its new OTT service and on here probably bodes well, as does the spate of stories speculating the company will bundle those two services with ESPN+.

Otherwise, it's a quiet week, but, hey, is this movie Terminal, with Mike Myers, Margot Robbie, and Simon Pegg any good? I don't have any memory of this existing.

[Rick does some research]

Uh, apparently it isn't. However, Hulu is adding a Jeopardy! collection, which is pretty cool. And Borg vs. McEnroe is now here, which I must mention because I said it was last month. I read it on a list of movies that were allegedly coming in July and--REALLY? It took over a MONTH to get here? You CANNOT be serious!

6) The Roku Channel: You can now access this free streamer without a Roku, which sounds kind of funny but makes sense when you hear the company claim to be an ad company and not a hardware company. Anything that gives viewers more options is a good thing.

7) WWE Network: You know if you watch too much of the early Expansion Era WWF programming on here, you are going to get tired of the endless focus on the "midget wrestlers." One thing I will never get tired of seeing--in fact, I saw it the other day--is the TNT episode with Ken Patera holding back an accelerating truck (purportedly driven by Vince McMahon) with only his legs.

8) Shout! Factory TV: Another fine episode of Soul!  puts Shout! in the rankings...plus the faint thought that maybe someone there sees my list of 5 shows that should be streaming on it.

9) HBO: The debut of Hard Knocks and the returns of Insecure and Ballers give HBO some buzz, plus somehow, Succession became one of the most critically appreciated series on TV seemingly overnight ahead of last week's season finale.

10) SI TV: I give Sports Illustrated's relatively new OTT service credit for launching on Roku, but its library doesn't impress me much. There is a decent assortment of original short documentaries and pieces, but I don't see a lot to warrant making this a regular buy. I would like to test-drive it, though, and maybe I will now that it's Roku-friendly.

No comments: