Wednesday, January 23, 2008

First Impulse: 2008 Oscar Nominations

*First thought: I have some homework to do, including seeing "Atonement" and "There Will Be Blood." And maybe "Transformers," too (hey, it did get 3 nods).

*I don't want to bust on "Michael Clayton," a film I admire, but if there could only be one "smart" thriller in the Best Picture race, I would have liked to have seen "Breach" in there. "Breach" is an underrated, superlative movie that came out last winter and was soon forgotten.

*I wonder if it's possible that nominators figured, "Well, we might not even have a ceremony this year, so we don't feel obligated to pick Angelina for A Mighty Heart just to get her to the show."

*I don't have a lot of strong favorites this year, but several I do have a rooting interest in are: Once for Best Original Song and Ratatouille for Best Animated Feature. I would love to see Amy Ryan win for "Gone Baby Gone." After all, she's a vet of "The Wire," and it's nice to see the movie get some pub.

*It really says something about Phillip Seymour Hoffman's year when he is nominated for Gust in "Charlie Wilson's War," an entertaining turn that may well be his least impressive performance of 2007.

*Speaking of that, my biggest "outrage" would be the total lack of recognition for Sidney Lumet's "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead."

*So far, I don't see too many films that make me think, "THAT doesn't belong anywhere near this list." I don't think Juno is worthy of all the hype, but it's a solid movie and a hell of a lot better than "Little Miss Sunshine."

*Is Cate Blanchett going to be a pretty-much-automatic pick every year from now on?

*I didn't see "In the Valley of Elah," (save the first 3 minutes I saw when a projectionist screwed up and started it at the wrong time) which scooted out of my area in a few weeks, but I can't believe Tommy Lee Jones was any better in that than he was in "No Country for Old Men."

*Congratulations, "Norbit," for your nomination (for Makeup).

No comments: