Wednesday, January 16, 2008

First Impulse: The Golden Globes

*I'm sure many were disappointed by the cancellation of the big ol' ceremony thing, but I actually thought the Oscars might benefit from a break like this. Have the red carpet thing for an hour or two so everyone gets to see the fashions and the stars, then just have people announce the winners at breakneck speed.

*Only don't let those people be Nancy O'Dell and Billy Bush. Oh, how I sometimes rue the day the NBC empire created "Access Hollywood." O'Dell was OK and made a few interesting comments, but Bush added nothing apart from his distracting habit of referring to tv shows as movies.

*My reaction to Atonement's win was pretty much the same as when I heard it was nominated: "Aw, do I have to go see this now?" It may well be a terrific film, but it just seems like a chore. There, I said it.

*Similarly, I'd normally love to see 'There Will Be Blood," and the viewing doesn't seem daunting, but finding the time does. From what I understand, this one is, what, 8 hours long? Kind of hard to squeeze that one in between trips to Target and the grocery store.

*I loved how NBC hyped up an Ellen Page vs. Nikki Blonsky battle for Best Supporting Actress (Comedy/Musical), the one "storyline" they really pursued…only to announce the winner was Marion Cotillard!

*My most pleasant surprise was seeing Extras beat out the dreaded Entourage, though Jeremy Piven did get a win for that overrated hype magnet.

*David Duchovny? The TV categories were full of head scratchers. Maybe Duchovny delivered a nuanced portrayal of a complex character over the course of the season; all I know is I bailed after the first episode, unable to tolerate either him or the show.

*Overall, it was a pretty cheap-looking spectacle, but at least NBC milked something out of the Globes this year.

No comments: