Wednesday, January 30, 2008

This Week in DVD

The King of Kong: The release that excites me most this week is the documentary about dueling Donkey Kong champions. It sounds both ridiculous and cool, but I read so many good things about this movie I figured I'd shell out the quarters to actually see this on the big screen, even though it didn't seem to require a theatrical viewing. Then, of course, it came nowhere near a big screen in my vicinity. I'll be watching it soon, though, and I hope it's as cool as I hear. The events depicted can't be any more ridiculous than those in another 2007 doc I saw recently: No End in Sight.

Groundhog Day Special Edition: This tale of a man who relives the same events over and over must be the all-time favorite movie among executives at certain studios who decide what DVDs to produce.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 6: I'd love to vouch for this one and say it's a rebound from the slightly less satisfying Season 5, but I'm a bum and haven't watched the compilation my friend made me yet.

JAG Season 5: I have to admit, I judge this show on how hot Catherine Bell looks on the box cover of each season set, and while she looks good on this one, well, she shares the front with 4 other scrubs (one of whom, admittedly, is the star of the series). Therefore, this is a bit of a comedown from Season 4.

The Invasion: File this one on the "Whoa, that actually was in theaters already?" shelf. Poor Nicole Kidman is getting a rep as box office poison. If she wants to maintain her star status, she'd better make a sequel to…a sequel to…a sequel to…she had to have been in a blockbuster I'm forgetting, right? Does Happy Feet count? Batman Forever?

The Comebacks: I'm under no delusions here. I KNOW this is stupid. Question is, is this Funny Ha Ha Stupid, or is it Stupid Stupid? Sports movies seem to make a good parody target. This effort might be way off the mark, though. Tell you what, if someone can guarantee me that Carl Weathers gets direct royalties from DDV rentals, I'm in.

Daddy Day Camp: I knew it. I just knew it. See, I was laughing uproariously at the brilliant modern-day comedy classic Daddy Day Care--you know, just like the rest of America--but one nagging thought kept tempering my enthusiasm: "They're only setting this up for a sequel." Hopefully they did the right thing storywise this time and killed off the Cuba Gooding character at the end.

No comments: