Thursday, May 8, 2008

True Confessions: The Fugitive

Yes, I have a confession to make. See, there's this classic show called "The Fugitive," a landmark 1960s drama which Paramount finally got around to releasing on DVD last year. I was really excited at the prospect of adding this great series to my collection. Heck, I was anxious just to see some episodes again, as I had more or less been shut out of my Richard Kimble fix since A&E quit airing it over a decade ago.

Even though the sets were bare bones, I urged everyone to buy these DVDs to ensure that the series would continue and we could get all 4 seasons on this format.

There was some bad news, though: Paramount went the dreaded split-season route on this one, forcing fans to wait 4-6 months between half-sets, likely paying a little more per episode, too.

Still, I urged everyone to buy the set despite the studio's aggravating strategy. After all, I wanted strong sales so I could see more seasons!

Well, here is my True Confession, folks. I'm a free rider. You see, I have decided to stick to my no-split-seasons purchases credo, and even though I love the show and would love to own it on shiny little discs, I am not buying "The Fugitive" on DVD. No, I'm renting the episodes and watching it that way!

What can I say? I know I'm a hypocrite, but I have to draw the line somewhere in my purchases. I thank all of you who ARE buying this show and presumably keeping it going, but I won't be joining you until maybe we have assurances they'll all be coming out...and the price comes down a bit.

In reality, "The Fugitive" is so good, it's worth the price (Shh! Don't tell Paramount). Take, for instance the last disc of the Season 1 Volume 1 set, the last one I've seen (I'm trying to space them out so I don't burn them and have to wait too long for the next set). This disc alone features "Terror at High Point" with special guest star Jack Klugman--'NUFF SAID--"Glass Tightrope" (with Leslie Nielsen) in which Kimble finds himself in a tough spot as the only man who can clear an innocent man of murder (which of course hits home, hmm?) and two other great episodes that reveal the Secret Origin of The Fugitive. In one, Kimble recovers from a car accident and flashes back to The Incident. In the other, he returns home to Indiana, where we meet his family and where Lt. Girard tries to track him down.

This is just one disc, but it's filled with 4 fine episodes and lots of the guest stars whose presence help make TV of the era so much fun. Of course, the fine performance of David Janssen is front and center, and the top-notch writing and music help create the atmosphere which makes the series so gripping even today.

Yep, I love "The Fugitive," but I confess I'm not supporting it. I'm a free rider. That is my True Confession.

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Say it ain't so, Rick.

Rick Brooks said...

Afraid so. Afraid so.
[HANGS HEAD IN SHAME]

Can I blame this on having a baby daughter? And does it help that I DID vote with my wallet recently by buying Hey, Mulligan (The Mickey Rooney Show) on DVD?

Eh, probably not.