Thursday, May 22, 2008

On the Radio: "Understanding" BTO?

We have a classic rockish/Super 70s FM radio station here that sometimes runs cheesy little canned intros for notable artists before playing one of their songs. They attempt to build up the artist and put them in some kind of context, but they only sound overbaked and overimportant, quickly morphing from an informative piece to a self-promotional tool. The best thing about them, and by "best" I mean "funniest," is the way they invariably end:

"And nobody understands Led Zeppelin like Big 100."

"And nobody understands Rod Stewart like Big 100."

Insert name of musician.

I assume these are done by corporate parent Clear Channel and customized for each market, so I'm blaming HQ and not my local station for these. The other day, I heard a real head-scratcher. Unfortunately, I tuned in the station too late to hear the build-up, but I did catch this line about classic rockers BTO:

"...a sound as unique as their name." I know, I know, but we'll let that one slide. What really made me chuckle was what soon followed:

"And nobody understands Bachman-Turner Overdrive like Big 100."

UNDERSTANDS Bachman-Turner Overdrive? Hey, I rocked out to their Greatest Hits often enough in high school, and I have nothing against the guys. But what the heck is there to understand about their music? I'm no musicologist, but I'd think that in the School of Classic Rock, their songs are covered early in the third grade.

I appreciate the fact that this station is savvy enough to find their hits album in the stack, find track 5 or whatever, and play "Let It Ride," but I just don't think there's a deep, layered subtext lurking in the chorus of, say, "Roll on Down the Highway," let alone one that only Big 100 can decipher.

It's difficult to picture some guy listening to a competing station on his way into work when a BTO song comes on and shaking his head. "Nope, nope, can't listen to this," he would say as he reaches for the dial. "These guys just don't GET BTO."

Similarly, if a listener can't stand "Takin' Care of Business," she's not gonna be turned around by hearing it on THIS channel. "Oh, wait! I always thought this song was lame, but now that I hear it on Big 100...yeah, I totally see it now." Because, you know, all it takes is a station that understands the band.

No comments: