Friday, May 30, 2008

This Week in DVD

After a lackluster week or two, we see some interesting releases again. Awayyy we go:

The 3 Stooges Volume 2 1937-1939: Continuing Sony's chronological releases of unedited, spiffy-looking original shorts, as they finally make good after years of dumping ripoffs onto the market. Poor Stooges fans, however, are still fretting over the fact that many brick and mortar stores aren't even carrying these. See, collectors of the older stuff live in constant fear that at any time, a studio will pull the plug on a series. We may not get the Joe Besser years, but at least we can enjoy a few years of the 3 Stooges done right. Here's hoping more is on the way.

The Invaders Season One: I never saw this show, but reading about it as the release drew closer intrigued me. It sounds like a cool premise, with aliens and conspiracy and whatnot, and besides it's a Quinn Martin Production. Kudos to Paramount for doing the right thing and giving us the whole season in one shot. The other day I thought, "Hey, this is exactly the kind of thing I wish Sci-Fi still showed." But then I realized, hey, now the episodes are coming on DVD, unedited and without network logos all over the place. So nyah, nyah, nyah, Sci-Fi. Who needs you (apart from anyone who makes money on the Stargate franchise, that is)?

Gunsmoke and Rawhide: Fans wish these weren't split-season sets, but it's good to see the resumption of each series, particularly "Rawhide," which was feared abandoned.

The Color Honeymooners Season 3: These episodes are fun, and I love that they're coming to DVD, but as a big Mooners fan I confess I'm kind of just hoping MPI hurries up and gets these done so they can get to some of the even rarer stuff and maybe revisit the Lost Episodes in an improved package.

Rambo: The Sylvester Stallone Revival Tour continues. I can't wait for "Over the Top Again: Back on the Table" next year.

Grace Is Gone: This movie was gone, all right, mere moments after hitting theaters. Looks like this one goes into the "they meant well" category, but not necessarily into my rental queue. After seeing "Must Love Dogs," never again will I say, "John Cusack's in it--how bad can it be?"

Cassandra's Dream: OK, in this case I'm glad to see a movie shoot to video so quickly, as I don't know if this latest Woody Allen flick ever came out around here. Seems a lot like ground he;s covered before, only better, but I'll see it sooner or later. Quick, without looking, who's older--Woody or Rambo? Did you have to think about it?

No comments: