Thursday, May 29, 2008

Desmond on "Lost": Hit the road, BROTHER

I have no idea what's gonna happen on tonight's finale of "Lost," but it's traditional for someone to die at the end of a season, so I'm gonna go ahead and declare that I hope it's Desmond.

The guy has annoyed me from the get-go, mainly because the writers saddled him with the irritating tic of calling everyone "brother." By my own unofficial tally, he has addressed 84 different individuals that way a total of 803 times. This count does not include instances I may have missed in which he did it to Penelope, Vincent the dog, or the notorious black smoke.

This season, the dialogue has eased up a little bit on the characters' irritating tics, but the damage was done long ago. For a while there, Desmond said "Brother" so often, I actually forgot about Hurley saying, "Dude." He uttered "Brother" more times in a few dozen hourlong episodes than did Hulk Hogan in nearly two decades of headlining on TV.

What really makes me want to see this "stuck in time" character be permanently stuck somewhere off the ABC network is his impact on my own personal speech patterns. Every now and then, I'll affectionately greet my cat with a, "What's up, brutha?" or something like that. I mean, who wouldn't? But since Desmond's arrival on "Lost," my wife thinks I'm only doing that to imitate HIM. Now, granted, I have mocked him enough times that it may even be more irksome than my original target, but she's wrong here. I've been saying, "brother" for years now, and so have millions of us. Mrs. Shark wants me to stop, and it's all because of this one rogue television character.

Desmond, for ruining a perfectly good term of endearment for the rest of us, you must go. I want a clean break, too--no flashbacks, no flash forwards, no nothing for at least a year or two. Good luck and good-bye, brother.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need to hit the road Brotha - you are as annoying as they come! Peace brotha, you need it!

AM

jb_dean said...

All I can say is that I'm just happy that you're not part of TPTB because millions of fans (men and women) all around the world fell in love with Desmond Hume and his endearing use of "Brotha" was only part of what won us over. He is a fantastic character full of charm, hope, compassion, fortitude, tenacity and faith. How anyone could not love him (or at least like him) is beyond me. We all are counting the days until S05 begins so we can find out when we'll next see our heroic and loving Scot.

So, eh, won't see ya in another life then, eh brotha?

Rick Brooks said...

Brother Anonymous--
Only thing I "need" is gas money because I ain't "hitting the road" at 4 bucks per gallon unless it's an essential trip.

JB--
I get that people like Desmond and Penelope. After all, isn't there a big cult following for "Somewhere in Time?" I checked out your webpage, and it's impressive. I appreciate your POV, and, hey, nothing personal, bro--uh, sister?

Tell you what, if someone can go back and do a "Breakfast Club" style overdub on all his lines--maybe put in "flipper" for "brother," I'll give him another chance, OK?

Anonymous said...

Hi

As you yourself posted, the writers saddled Desmond with all the "brothas" so why blame and bid good riddance Des from the show?
If you are tired of hearing him say that "word" then may I suggest you don't listen. Or are you just annoyed because you think it is "your" word? Does sound like your wife is a Desmond fan and loves his version of "Brotha" more than yours, a bit of jealousy maybe?

Jack is far more annoying than any character on Lost, pick on him please and leave Des to all his loving fans.
A.

Rick Brooks said...

You know what, you have a point. We could ban the writers and have the cast do an all-improv episode. That would probably be quite entertaining one way or another. The writers would be allowed back when they submitted a complete script without "dude," "brother" (except in a literal familial reference), or a Sawyer wacky nickname.

As for my wife being a Desmond fan, no, the whole point is he annoys her, too, and--hey, wait. You don't know anything, do you? you don't suppose my wife and Desmond--hey, I'd better log out and get home!

jb_dean said...

Hey, Rick! Nice to see you have a good sense of humor. Personally, I love your idea of an entire improvised ep! Maybe we should start a letter-writing campaign. LOL

As for your wife ... I haven't a clue to her and Des being ... uh, friendly. (No, not Mr. Friendly ;) ) But if there's a stuffed, floppy eared rabbit on her pillow and a copy of The Third Policeman next to her side of the bed ... well, I'd be worried! :eek:

And, FTR, it's "Sistah." :D

Anonymous said...

Hiya Rick!

Ok ok, I'm sorry, I harboured you ill-will, as I'm a red-blooded, card-carrying Desmond nut forever. But I'm actually commenting to say I think your responses are awesome and appreciated.

And ha, see...right there...you were about to say "brotha", weren't ya...? :) It'll getcha yet...br...ok, noooo, I won't say it. *biting lip*