Friday, July 25, 2008

Arnold Ziffel Saved My Life Tonight

A conversation I had with my wife at Target a week or two ago:

(She had a shopping cart filled with essential baby items, and I met her after exploring the children's books...and other sections.)

ME: Hey, they had a few cute books in the dollar bins. I got these ones.

(I dump them in the cart)

HER: Great.

ME: And, uh...this, too...

(At this point, I kind of slide a two-pack of Green Acres Seasons 1 and 2 into the cart)

HER: Do you need that?

ME: Yes. Why, yes, I think I do. It's only 20 bucks for both seasons.

HER: Yeah, but do you NEED it?

ME: Yeah, I need it. As a matter of fact, I do.

HER: You really NEED it. You'll die if you don't buy that right here today.

ME: Yes. It's such a great deal that I think if I pass it up, I might well die here in the store if I don't buy these DVDs.

HER (with a small sigh): All right.

Folks, just between you, me, and the government filters that monitor the entire Internet, I may have told a slight untruth there, as I didn't really NEED seasons 1 and 2 of "Green Acres." But I sure as heck wanted them, and at that price, I couldn't resist. I always neglected the show in the past because I lumped it in with "Beverly Hillbillies," which I never cared for, and only recently did I discover how wrong I was.

So, you know, baby formula, diapers, and DVDs. The essentials, right?

1 comment:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Let's face it...no home should be without seasons 1 and 2 of Green Acres. And if you need me to play the whole phony-doctor-who-writes-out-a-prescription-so-you-can-obtain-season-3, I'll be only too happy to do it.