Friday, July 25, 2008

This Week in DVD

I'm keeping it brief this weeks, folks, and while I was going to write that I had a hectic week, really it's just my apathy for this slate of new DVDs.

21: You used to get movies about kids putting on a show. Now you get movies about kids going to Vegas and trying to break the bank with card-counting systems. Eh, 6 of one, half-dozen of another.

Movies about Music: Warner has an assortment of jazz-themed films for us this week, and while I am mostly unfamiliar with the offerings, I can recommend the intriguing blend of music, noirish elements, and suspense that is "Blues in the Night."

Spaced: The C0mplete Series: I tried one episode of this on BBC America a while back and couldn't get into it, but given the pedigree and what I read about it, I want to give it another shot. American Beeb, by the way, is running all the episodes to coincide with the U.S. DVD release, and after a Sunday marathon of selected shows, they are showing the complete run weeknights...at 3:00 A.M.! Yippee! Hey, BBC America, can you spare the hour of airtime? Yeah, I could tape them, but I think I'll hold out for the unedited versions.

No comments: