Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Retro TV comes to Cultureshark Tower

For months now, I've read about the fledgling Retro Television Network, a national service that lets its affiliates choose customized schedules from its available programming. RTN, which is signing up mostly digital subchannels of network affiliates, seems to have several different library deals, as it has offered a wide variety of old-school television programming. Oh, how I've wanted access to this network. It apparently shows time-compressed episodes, but, hey, it sounds like it's better than the hacked-up slop airing on TV Land (which is of course abandoning old shows in favor of stuff like "Scrubs" and the forthcoming "Third Rock From the Sun."

It was announced that the local ABC station was signing on, and I was thrilled. I think just about every other day since, I've looked for info about what this market's schedule would look like. Then it was announced July 28 would be the launch date, and I became even more obsessive about trying to find listings. What cool shows would I be able to see in reruns? RTN staples like "The Fugitive," "The Untouchables," or "Perry Mason"? Maybe "Get Smart" and "Kojak"?

Well, the schedule is here, and it looks pretty good, though none of those 5 shows is on it. Apparently, the launch of the WJLA RTN service coincides with a big overhaul in the RTN lineup. It looks like they are switching from a Paramount-heavy selection to one dominated by Universal. As much of the Paramount output is on DVD or coming out, I'm not too upset about that. Actually, I'm really excited about what's coming here.

The schedule, which I wish I could link to, but there isn't a real easily linkable one available that i know of, features a lot of junk in prime time, stuff like "Knight Rider" and "A-Team." No offense to fans, but I don't need to relive those shows. Similarly, "Magnum P.I." has had plenty of exposure in recent years, and it and "Simon and Simon" are all over Sleuth, anyway. But it's a darned good thing that there are so many shows that don't interest me (Sorry, "Airwolf" and "Kate and Allie") because otherwise I would never get anything done.

In addition to mainstays like "The Incredible Hulk," "Quincy," "Rockford Files," and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents," there are rarer shows like "Ironside" and "Marcus Welby." "Sheriff Lobo" and "That's Incredible" make a cheesetastic Sunday evening combo. Westerns like "Wagon Train" and "Laredo" dot the weekend lineup.

There are shows I haven't seen in years and years, like the old John Forsythe sitcom "Bachelor Father" (seen on the old CBN for a while), "Run For Your Life," and "It Takes a Thief (the latter two used to be on WOR's Universal 9 national feed)."

Best of all are shows I have never seen, such as "Switch," 'The Bold Ones," and "Kraft Suspense Theatre." "Kraft Suspense Theatre!" Has that early-1960s anthology series (I had to look it up) ever been syndicated?

I am not gonna watch all of this or probably even most of it, but it's great having a channel that is commited (1980s shows aside) to showing the kind of vintage TV product that hasn't been run to death on other outlets lately.

It's odd that Universal's "Kojak," which I was really looking forward to, is not on my RTN. It's also strange that NBC-Uni is sitting on Slueth Channel, which could be showing many of these programs but instead shows the same handful of series multiple times a day along with many of the same old, same old movies.

So now we have several decent alternatives to the fading TV Land. American Life is a great source for Fox and MTM shows, RTN has the Universal library covered, and Encore has started showing "Maverick," with rumors floating that it'll pick up more of Warners westerns. The funny thing is, it looks like the Paramount shows are now out of a reliable outlet, though TV Land was "in the family" and presumably could have been used to showcase their classics.

Me, I'm getting ready to check out what RTN is offering. I can already hear my DVR moaning in anticipation of the wear and tear I'm gonna put on it.

3 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I'm curious as to whether WSB's RTN feed will be getting a similar shake-up. They already show The Fugitive, The Untouchables, Perry Mason, Get Smart and Kojak--as well as Knight Rider, Airwolf, It Takes a Thief and Magnum P.I. But it would be great to revisit the likes of Quincy, M.E., Sheriff Lobo (I thought I was the only one who watched this), Bachelor Father, Run For Your Life, Wagon Train, Laredo and The Bold Ones.

Rick Brooks said...

Ivan, I saw your post running down what you have in your area now. If you'd ever like a sample of anything running on my RTN, feel free to ask. Only thing is, I don't have a DVD-recorder, so all recordings have to be made from my old VCR.

For the record, I don't remember ever seeing Lobo (though I do seem to recall Mad Magazine ridiculing it when I was a wee lad), so in about a week or so, it'll be my first time watching it...and possibly my last. =)

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Rick, I was going to make you the same offer re: Kojak...but I don't have a DVD recorder either. (I used to, but it was rendered non compos mentis by a power surge and it never really worked right after that...finally choosing to give up the ghost.) I guess until this happens, we'll have to admire each other's RTN lineups from afar.

I'm going to warn you right now, Lobo is not to everyone's taste (sort of like boiled peanuts); I was surprised to hear Andy Leal weigh in on it with a positive opinion over at my digs. The funniest thing about the show to me was that Mills Watson (Deputy Perkins) spent all those years being trained as a classical Shakespearean actor...and to pay the rent, he had to play the buffoon opposite Claude Akins and Brian Kerwin.