Friday, July 18, 2008

This Week in DVD

Bank Job: I think I underestimated this one when it hit theaters a few weeks ago. I wrote it off as a low-budget quickie heist flick. Well, judging on a lot of the opinions I read, I should have enjoyed it for being a low-budget quickie heist flick. This one is right up there in my To Rent list.

College Road Trip: Martin Lawrence and I aren't exactly a prominent buddy combination like, say, Martin and Will Smith are, but we still have a pretty good system going. He makes crappy movies, and I ignore 'em.

Birds of Prey The Complete Series: I remember thinking at the time this had all the elements to be a winner: interesting source material, babes in cool costumes...but it didn't click at all for me. My memory is hazy and I didn't see much, but I believe they drastically altered the source material and forgot to include elements like "good scripts." I know the show has its fans, though, so maybe I missed something.

Swamp Thing Season 2: I thought Kari Wuhrer was all over this show, but a check at IMDB indicates she was only in 9 episodes. Well, Kari Wuhrer was all over HBO and Cinemax after midnight in the 90s, so maybe that's where I got confused. If "Swamp Thing" doesn't have Kari Wuhrer, I don't think I'm interested.

Penelope: This movie was stigmatized as "the one where Christina Ricci has a pig's nose," when really, it...uh, well, that's about all I know about it, too.

Dallas Season 9: This is it, folks, the infamous "It was all a dream" season that was erased when Bobby Ewing showed up in the shower the next year. Of course, if you buy this DVD set, the money won't magically reappear in your bank account after you finish watching it. But you'll have the pleasure of having seen a whole bunch of stories that will be rendered meaningless and replaced by a new continuity almost immediately afterwards. Hey, it's like buying comic books these days!

No comments: