Thursday, July 3, 2008

This Week in DVD

Vantage Point: Maybe I'm a tad too cynical about this "see it from multiple viewpoints" thriller, but I suspect the gimmick is there to cover up the fact that from one viewpoint, the story just doesn't work that well.

Streets of San Franscico Season 2 Volume 2: I'm still too mad at Paramount for the recent "Fugitive" fiasco to give them any good pub. But you know what? I have a feeling all will be forgiven--or at least temporarily forgotten--when CANNON arrives next week. How can we stay mad at a company that is giving us CANNON?

My Blueberry Nights: Don't Know Why I'm listing this even though just about the only interesting aspect of it is the feature-film acting debut of chanteuse Norah Jones. Now that I consider it, even that's not all that interesting.

Drillbit Taylor: When this hit theaters, I said it felt too soon to watch a wacky Owen Wilson farce. Now it's on DVD, and I still feel that way. Plus it kind of looks like this one stinks. Seriously, though, I hope Wilson is in good shape these days.

Mad Men Season 1: Because I wanted to see this series from the beginning--not an unreasonable desire, I submit--I somehow kept missing it even though for a while AMC was running it about 10 times a week. Now it's on DVD...and I'm already missing season 2. It's a rough cycle.

Rhubarb: This 1951 comedy combines baseball and a cat. What's not to love? I've tried to get my cat into baseball, but I think he's disillusioned by the payroll disparity between large- and small-market teams and the implications it has for competitve balance. Either that or he just prefers to nap.

Batman: The Movie (1966): I wish I could tell you A) this is a precursor to an imminent release of the TV series (it's not) and B) if it's worth double-dipping after the earlier SE disc (I can't seem to find a definitive explanation of what the difference is between this and the old one except for the Blu-Ray version). I know I'm happy with the disc I have, which has extras and only cost me 5 bucks.

No comments: