Friday, October 24, 2008

Clark Kent was Bluto Blutarsky before Bluto was cool

Apologies for the scan quality here, but I'm still figuring out my scanner, and the darned Showcase Presents books make it difficult to get the inside panels on a page. But I wanted to point this one out, a gem from the classic tale originally presented in Superman #129 (cover dated May 1959, reprinted in Showcase Presents: Superman Volume 1).




Check out this wild "fraternity initiation" at Metropolis University: Clark must endure the humiliating, dangerous, and potentially soul-draining rush activity known as...reading! And not just any reading, but indoor reading!

I never pledged, myself, but I was close with enough people who did to raise an eyebrow at the lowbrow hijinks of "Eye Amma Dorka." Don't these crazy kids know that curling up in front of a roaring fire, or gazing contemplatively out the window, is liable to summon The Man? These hellions are risking the freedom of the whole Greek system at Met U. with their hard-partying ways!

When I saw this panel, I hoped that since Clark looks about 35 years old in this story, he would suddenly assert his maturity, put his foot down, and demand that his frat break it up, already. Unfortunately, poor Kent is so besotted with Lori Lemaris that he can only go along for the ride, not only encouraging but actively participating in this raucous fraternity initiation.

No comments: