Friday, October 10, 2008

True Confessions: My summer of (no) movies

So, you remember that whole Summer Crummy Movie Cavalcade thing, the project I hastily wrapped up the other day? The one in which I ripped on a bunch of movies?

Well, I have a confession to make. My credibility as an arbiter of the relative quality of summer movies may be somewhat lesser right now because, after all...

I didn't SEE any movies this summer. Not a single one. I didn't see any good ones, nor any bad ones, and not even any so-so ones. None at all!

This is the first summer in recent memory I haven't been to the theater. Oh, I see stuff on DVD and TV, of course, but since the birth of my wonderful baby girl about 6 months ago, I don't get out to the theater--or at all, really, at least not that much. I either don't have the time, the opportunity, or the energy these days. The Movie Theater has been replaced by Ah, Baby Went to Bed Theater at home.

I knew I was going to be hitting the multiplex less, but I HAD to see "Iron Man." Got to see that. Nope, it passed. Well, the new Indiana Jones movie was a must-see, right? Nope, missed that. OK, but the one movie I really, really wanted to see on the big screen was "The Dark Knight." Well, Mrs. Shark and I came close to seeing that one, but circumstances prevented it.

This isn't to say I'm blaming our daughter or anything. Heck, she might be doing me a favor. I was already tapering off my moviegoing habits for a variety of reasons, and the more I get out of the habit, the less money and time I spend at the theater. I do feel guilty about underserving you, the Cultureshark-reading public, though. I used to be a heavy moviegoer, seeing as many as 2 or 3 a week when I was rolling, but now...eh, not so much. Or at all. And I don't feel too badly about that as far as my life goes, but I feel kind of weird calling out so many movies for being crummy when I myself haven;t been actually going to see any of them.

NAHHHHH. Let's face it, a crummy movie is a crummy movie, and one need not actually see it to recognize it. But I just hope I get the chance to see a good one or two eventually to get a vivid reminder of the difference.

No comments: