Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Non-political comment about a political figure

I realize Barack Obama is trying to win an election here, but I don't think it's cool that he's buying TV airtime during the World Series, causing Fox to bump October 29's Game 6 (if necessary) a half-hour later. For one thing, the games start late enough as it is; and for another, I don't like the idea of the World Series being bumped for anything besides a national catastrophe (and I don't mean another episode of Fox's "Do Not Disturb").

Couldn't he have picked an off night? I guess I'm one of the stubborn, grizzled few who still bother to take umbrage at the influence television has on sporting events.

Since I don't want to get all political here on Cultureshark (unless "I GO POGO" counts), let me say something kind of negative but non-political about John McCain. You ever notice how, no matter how hard you try, you just can't get McCain french fries to get all that crisp without burning them? The instructions on the bag make it seem like you can cook them under 20 minutes, but invariably, they never get good and tasty by that time. Matter of fact, they never get good and tasty at all.

I buy them every so often because they're on sale for about half the cost of Ore-Ida, but there's a reason for that: they're about half as yummy. They may be a notch above store brand, but I keep telling myself I'd be better off with Ore-Ida fries, which cook consistently and get crisp and brown. Unfortunately, I always tell myself that AFTER another unsuccessful batch.

No comments: