Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Casting is everything: WW and the Dixie Dancekings (1975)

If I told you I just saw a movie with a great cast that turned out to be just OK, you might not rush out to get a copy.

But what if I went into a little more detail? More to the point, how about if I said the movie was about a robber/con man type who hooks up with a small-time country-western band and promises to get them into the Grand Ole Opry? And that the con man is BURT REYNOLDS in full-on, "I own this decade" 1970s Burt mode, complete with cocky swagger and, yes, gum chewing?

And what if I went on to tell you that the movie features, as one of the musicians, vital Burt Pack member Jerry Reed, providing typically fine support for his Burtness?

All right, and what if I mentioned that another classic Burt Pack member, Ned Beatty, shows up as a slick singer/songwriter and all-around Nashville big shot?

OK, and then maybe I'd tell you that James Hampton of "F-Troop," "The Longest Yard," and more than enough other credits to earn him enduring "Hey, it's HIM again" character actor status, has a significant role. I might be stretching it a bit at that point, but...

How about then if I told you that the company that owns the gas stations Burt is so fond of sticking up hires a self-righteous religious zealot lawman to catch him...and that it's ART CARNEY?

After I told you all of that, even if I repeated what I said way up there about the movie just being OK, even if I told you that the movie has its moments but isn't quite as much fun as you want it to be, even if I hesitated somewhat in recommending it...

You'd want to see it, anyway, wouldn't you? Yeah, of course, you would. Not that I blame you. I know _I_ would. Fox Movie Channel has been showing it every now and then, and if it turns up again, you might want to check out the assemblage of talent. Sometimes it's all about the cast.

3 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Hey, the mere fact that Don Williams plays a small role in this picture was enough to get me to sit through it.

Tony Latessa said...

Thank you Rick Brooks for taking notice of "the little movie that could" from 1975, W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings. I actually remember seeing it in the theatre back in 1975. I have a decent VHS copy from a cable channel without commercials but have always wondered why it's never been released on DVD considering some of the stuff that's out there. Ok, so they don't need to make it Widescreen with Dolby 5.1 but anything would be better than nothing. And the cast is quite a quality ensemble group. I'm often quite surprised when something is written about it that little mention is made of country legend Don Williams who plays "Leroy" with convincing ability I might add. It's also funny to see Don without his trademark hat in this film but he's said in many interviews the wardrobe guy who worked this film styled the hat for him during the picture shoot.

Rick Brooks said...

I agree--I'm surprised that with so many different names in the cast, plus the country angle, this movie isn't considered marketable on DVD.

Fox Movie Channel was showing it once or twice a month for a while, I think.

Guys, I mentioned just about everybody in the cast BUT Don Williams, so I apologize =)